2.9L Need Lots Of Help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
HelpTheBroncoGirl

2.9L Need Lots Of Help

Post by HelpTheBroncoGirl »

I got a 87 2.9L, had it about two years now. I've had problems from the begining but here is what im dealing with right now.

First, when i start out in first i have to burn the clutch otherwise it dies before it can take off unless i do it really really slow, i know i probably need a new clutch but when i do burn the clutch the whole car shakes. ive heard everything from engine mounts to just a new clutch. I need ideas.

Second, when im drivin if i let off the gas and put it into nuetral with the rpms anywhere above 2 it will drop down below 1 and either bob between about to die and just below one until i give it gas or it will just die. I think i have a slight vaccum leak and someone said that could be a problem. also i have no muffler and no tailpipe and someone also said that could be causing pressure problems.

any suggestions would help
drofman

Re: 2.9L Need Lots Of Help

Post by drofman »

1, ya you probally need a clutch, 2 when was the last time you have done a tune-up? clean the throttle body?
HelpTheBroncoGirl

Post by HelpTheBroncoGirl »

drofman wrote:1, ya you probally need a clutch, 2 when was the last time you have done a tune-up? clean the throttle body?
I have changed my oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs, havent gotten around to changing the spark plug wires, how do clean the throttle body, im not much of a mechanic, i just go by what my guy friends and my dad say
drofman

Post by drofman »

Damn, I like a girl who gets her hands dirty, wires are probally ok but cap and rotor should be changed. what I do to clean the TB is gets some carb cleaner and a acid brush, take your intake hose off and hold the throttle cable open, spray the butterfly and inside of upper intake then take the brush and start cleaning it all (do it a couple times) then start motor then spray with butterfly open and close. do be afraid to rev a little. when you change the cap and rotor, remember to remove the spout on the right side of upper intake to set the timming.