What up guys, Got an engine problem.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
PHROX

What up guys, Got an engine problem.

Post by PHROX »

So sure i have been trying to blow the ol' 2.9 for like years as an excuse to do a 5.0. but i got like 3 months till i get to put it in and am having a problem.
so hear it is and i am hoping its a quick fix. the frog runs fine til it warms up. then when the engine is under load it starts giving me this wierd sort of exhaust leak sound from what i guess to be the passenger side of the engine. and i loose almost all my horse power. like i have to go up hills in 2nd, at 20 miles an hour. it doesnt affect it as much at lower rpm's around 1000, and gets worse as i aproch 2.5 and then it wont go any higher. stops at 2.5 grand

so here is some enviromental factors. i have a snorkle, the heater is bypassed the two hoses are just looping around. thats al i can think of, dont think the would be the problem but i am just throing that out.

so if anyone has any ideas thanks.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if it is the 2.9L pull codes and go from there, if you have no codes showing I would say coolent temp sensor.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Sounds like plugged exhaust system.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

that is a possibility, also check the timing...

FORDGUY

Post by FORDGUY »

HOOK UP A VACUUM GUAGE TO INTAKE MANIFOLD AND CHECK VACUUM WHILE RUNNING SUCH BE 16 TO 20HG IS NORMAL AND THEN CHECK BY REVVING UP ENGINE AND WATCH HOW FAST THE GUAGE RECOVERS BACK TO NORMAL RANGE THIS WILL TELL YOU IF YOUR EXHAUST IS PLUGGED
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

decided to check the exaust out, sure enough the cat had collapsed and was all loose inside, got a new one, but it didnt fix the problem. it still has the same problem as before, i think it might be timing,
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Timing is too slow. You are most likely hearing the popping through the intake. An intake valve is slightly open as the engine is firing. Mine just had a very similar problem. I re-adjusted the timing and everything went back to normal.

The exaust would also have contributed to it
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

ok, checked the timing , its suposed to be 10, it was around 20, then i found you have to unplug this little thing called a spout, so did that, and it read around 6. i dont know if thats way good or way bad. but then i found out that apparently you cant adjust timing on the 2.9 TFI??? i tore the whole distributer apart and you cant adjust it??? anyone have any input?
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You are suppose to unplug that piece and then set your timing. I don't think the 6*btdc would give you that much probelms. They are timiable though. You may have jumped the timing chain if it has a lot of miles and you have been beating on it.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

yea, the more i look into it the more it looks like timing is not the issue, seems the coolent temperature sensor causes a similar problem, by feeding too much fuel to the motor, but i dont think thats it cuz everone says it smokes when i does that. its crazy too, cuz alot of people aparently have this same problem but noone has any answers.
bower100

Post by bower100 »

I believe the cams gear driven off the crank.... no timing chain. Try pulling your plugs and doing a compression check. that'll tell you alot about the health of your motor. ( My six all were 100-110 psi).
dave
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

ok, first off you can set the timing with a light. lossen the bolt at the base of the distributor and turn it untill it reads right on the crank.

second, the timing is chain driven on the 2.9L. it is gear driven on the 2.8L.

if you timing is 4 degrees off you can have issues...how bad I guess we will see, but it will run bad. fix that first then you rule it out.

tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Don't forget to pull the Spout plug when you are ready to set the timing..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

the timing on a duraspark 2 system is like that, loosen the bolt and adjust. but on a tfi system there is no adjustment...
eisle89

Post by eisle89 »

PHROX wrote:the timing on a duraspark 2 system is like that, loosen the bolt and adjust. but on a tfi system there is no adjustment...
Yes you can, just do what DBrown said. With the spout off, set to 10 advanced