Using an A/C compressor as an air compressor

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Michael99

Using an A/C compressor as an air compressor

Post by Michael99 »

I am interested in connected an A/C compressor to my Bronco II and using it as an air compressor but want to know how to do it. It is an 84 with a 2.8.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

It's as hard or as easy as you want it to be.

The most basic would be to take the suction side and filter it any way from plumbing it in with the air cleaner or wrap the end in a oil soaked rag. Then put a chunk of hose with a tire chuck on the other end (take out the center of the chuck so it leaks continually or the pump will build enough pressure to blow the hose).
Then hotwire a switch that will energize the pump when the switch is on (no need to ground the pump is grounded thru the case).

You could get far more in depth, I always install a check valve and unloader after the pump so that the pump does not start under a load (IMO it's overkill to do so), an electric switch to cut the power when the pressure builds (look for a square D brand switch for a compressor or a well pump pressure switch can work as well), a pop off valve (just in case it builds too much pressure it will pop open instead of going to the point of failure).
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
bailey

Post by bailey »

As EBSteve said, a basic setup is real easy. I've seen several people now using the stock compressors on a few different forums. In my case, the stock AC does not have an oil reservoir like a York so I am using an $6.99 inline tool oiler just after the filter on the intake side (I actually ran the intake to my air box so it uses the air filter). Some people just add spray lube at intervals. On the pressure side, I used a barbed fitting coupled with a male quick disconnect (reason for this is as he said above, the male adapter is open and if I accidentally turn it on the air has somewhere to go/won't blow). I use this setup with an open chuck.

The stock pump fills a 37 x 12.5" tire from 10 to 25 psi in less than 1 min 30 sec. at slow engine idle. It's not much slower if at all than my basic CO2 setup that it will replace.

I have purchased a pressure switch and pop-valve, and am trying to figure out a tank and make or buy a small manifold to finish the system and not have to worry about keeping the system "open". I will also probably add an oil seperator after the pump as the thing does put out a ultra-fine oil mist with the inline oiler. But they run about 25 bucks.

In my case wiring was ultra easy. Just bypassed the low refrigerent pressure swtich, and then relabeled A/C button to "On-Board Air".
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Here's a write-up I did when I still had my 2.8L way back when

http://www.broncoii4x4.com/air/on-board_air-1.php

Since then I've swapped in a V8 and used a few different pumps. They've all worked great. I now have a york and I think they are overrated. I recommend using what ever is easiest to mount, and cheapest to get your hands on.

As EBSTEVE said, it's as easy or complicated as you want to make it. The most simple method is to bypass the low pressure cut-out, hook up a hose and pump air.