Funky tranny rear cone

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Its a C4, my cousin has a early 70s Winnebago Brave that is powered by a 240 I-6 and C4. It has the same non slip style yoke on it. I remember it well, because I was surprized to see a C4 in something that heavy. I noticed the A servo on the transmission you pictured, The A servo is one of the biggest OEM servos available for a C4.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

just FYI they made c6's with a small block bell housing pattern. my friend had one out of a full size bronco.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

ok, now what the heck is this?? I pulled the rear cone off of the tranny and the whole output shaft came with it. Is a C4 supposed to do that?? it also looks like an oil pump at the rear of the tranny, and there is something wierd looking on the output shaft. where can I get the correct output shaft? how long of a shaft do I need? I found one on ebay for $150 it's 12 inches long, with the 28 splines for the transfer case. is it the right one?
Attachments
output shaft.jpg
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

bartmantom wrote:ok, now what the heck is this?? I pulled the rear cone off of the tranny and the whole output shaft came with it. Is a C4 supposed to do that?? it also looks like an oil pump at the rear of the tranny, and there is something wierd looking on the output shaft. where can I get the correct output shaft? how long of a shaft do I need? I found one on ebay for $150 it's 12 inches long, with the 28 splines for the transfer case. is it the right one?
What you have there is, the oil distributor (the part that looks like a pump), governor, speedometer gear and output shaft. As I remember there should be a snap ring inside the transmission the keeps the output shaft from just sliding out. I drag raced a 66 Mustang in the late 70s with a C4. I used to break ears off the intermediate bands and puke the front planetarys a couple times a season. I got pretty good at replacing broken parts in C4s. After a season or two of that I decided a small block C6 was the way to deal with my C4 breakage, so I swapped one into my car at great expense, the SB C6 was fairly rare back then. The C6 was a big mistake, the car slowed down by a full 7-tenths of a second in the quarter. ROTATING MASS

Sorry about all the blah,blah, but that is definately a C4.

Can't help you with which output shaft is correct. I am just starting to figure out the transfer case VooDoo myself.

Goodluck
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

thanks for the info, I'll have to look for the snap ring, hopefully it's not still in the tranny somewhere.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »