gear oil leaking

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
drewski15

gear oil leaking

Post by drewski15 »

I found some gear oil leaking out of the trans/ bellhousing the other night. Wondering what this meant. I believ it is coming out of both the bellhousing and the place where the trans attaches to the bell housing. Any ideas?
"Dont call him a cowboy until you've seen him ride"
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I take it you are looking at a stickshift and not an automatic as you are talking Gear oil! If it is a manual you have a front seal bad in the trans. If left un repaired the oil will migrate down the input shaft and soak your clutch if it is not already soaked.

If it is an automatic and that is red trans fluid leaking you got big problems. The A4LD automatic transmission is notorious for blowing front seals. If it blows the seal your at a full stop.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
drewski15

Post by drewski15 »

haha yea its a manual. is taht an easy fix and are the seals readily avaliable? thanks
"Dont call him a cowboy until you've seen him ride"
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Wow,
I was going to go to alldata and look at the drawings to see what replacing the input shaft seal would entail. Lo and behold neither alldata or another on line source would go into transmission repair. after looking over some photos I have it looks like a no brainer repair. Ya gotta pull the trans, remove the bellhousing and the front seal should be right there in the input shaft collar.. Parts are available and shouldn't be much difficulty. Now all ya gotta do is fix it.. ha ha ha Hope I answered your questions.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

First of all, check if it is gear oil or brake fluid. Most manual trans broncos have concentric slave cylinders around the input shaft, and when they go out, they spill out dot3 brake fluid into the bellhousing. Either way, you will need to take out the trans, so good luck. If you have a mitsubishi, you have to pull the bellhousing off the engine with the trans, but if you had the TK, I think you could unbolt the trans from the bellhousing and leave the bellhousing and clutch, but I am not sure. What trans do you have, or if you don't know, what year is your bronc. If you have the mitsubishi, I have an exploded view of the mitsubishi, its a pretty simple trans. anyway, if it is the mitsu, you will need to take off the front plate of the trans case (front bearing retainer). Let us know.

Paul
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s