extreme makeover

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
black96ranger

extreme makeover

Post by black96ranger »

Hey guys what's up? I finally did it and ripped the 2.3 5 speed out, and put in a 4.0 5 speed out of a 97 ranger 2wd that absolutely got crammed in the left front. The 97 was the spitting image of my truck, with the exception of the wheels and a little chrome molding on the bed. The 4.0 runs like stink! With the 3.45 gear i have beaten posi marks of several stock 95 gt's i have had. But, still i want more. The past six months i have aquired a 85 ranger 4x4 lwb. It's complete minus the distributor, and the trans and xfer are in the cab, supposedly pulled for another truck, and they wouldn't fit. The back driveshaft was behind the seat with an ear ripped off. I also have Dbrown's complete bronco 2 chassis. How much trouble would it be to make the 96 4x4? I would love to keep the mazda tranny, will the tail shafts off the mitsu's work on a mazda style tranny. Will the front crossmember have to be changed or will the 4x4 front end bolt right in? The 96 is the twin i beam style. I've always wanted a 4x4 ranger the same year as my 96 and now i think i have all the parts to make one,, i just need some help. It's greatly appreicated guys. Thanks :cool: :D
If it scares you, stomp it harder!!!
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

it would be easier to swap in a solid front but if you don't want to go that big then a d35 is what you want

i'm pretty sure the mazda 5spd's came in 4wd

i can't say about the engine crossmember being the same as a 4wd but i know guys that have swapped d35's into 2wd rangers and it worked out for them
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

Like Broncoo said I would just try to find a solid axle to swap in. You can use either a Early Bronco Dana 44 or a High Pinion Dana 30 that can be found in some jeeps to keep it the right width up front. The EB 44 would be easier than doing a D35 in my opinion, and the D30 would only require some weld on C wedges from james duff and some radius arms found on 70's half ton pickups.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
black96ranger

Post by black96ranger »

Money is tight, and i have all the ranger parts laying around. I'm don't want a solid axle. It's not going to be a wheeling truck, it's just going to be a nice daily driver that has 4x4. Thanks for the ideas though.
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

In that case think 97 was the last year for the TTB wasn't it? I don't know about swapping the crossmember but I know I have read that to swap from one to the other you need the mounts that connect the beams to the frame and can't use the 2wd mounts for 4wd beams or vice versa. I would think it should bolt up without too much difficulty.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

just sell the truck and buy a 4wd model you will be money ahead with what you want to do

just so you know the front end is a d28ttb and is not worth the time to swap it in
black96ranger

Post by black96ranger »

it is the first vehicle i ever bought and paid for. I don't care how much trouble it is to swap over, i'm keeping it. I have a little over 16k in it from past mistakes and just over all dumb moves, so it's staying. No more suggestions about selling the truck! I have all the parts laying around, i have no money but i have lots of time, so there is another reason to swap it over. :mad2:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I think I remember the engine crossmember being different but we really need to just look under it. did you talk your brother out of the lift also?

where the radius arms connect they should just slide in but the axle arm bracket is where we will probably run into problems.......if the crossmember is not clearenced for the drive shaft we might have to look for another cross member also unless you dont care to alter the one you have. I think the one in the 83 you have back behind your house might work.

I am going to give you a shout on wed. I am leaving town again on fri for 2 weeks.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com