FIRE FIRE!!!!

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Dreded

FIRE FIRE!!!!

Post by Dreded »

Well the BII caught on fire :damnit: :damnit:

I had just finished the 5.0 Swap we took it for a etst drive down to get Gas and at the gas station the carb backfired and it was in flames.

The damn gas station only had powder extinguishers no Co2 ones so we wern't able to put it out to well not to mention we had to run inside to get the extinguishers the two outisde where rather hidden.

So the fire dept. came and put the fire out after about 5min standing around trying to figure out what to do :enraged:

So all in all not to bad carb needs rebuilding, topend will need to be pulled apart and cleaned the body faired pretty good no heat to fenders the hood will need replacing parts needing replacing...
  • Brake Booster
  • Windishield washer/Coolant resevoir
  • Wiring Harness
  • Fuel Lines
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Ignition Module
  • Coil
  • Distributor
  • Spark Plug Wires
  • Misc Other Junk.
Ill get some pics ASAP
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Crap that sucks. I'm surprised it burned that much. Next time(ha ha ha) you might try smothering it with your coat or shirt.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

man, I am sorry to hear that........

did you have the breather off or something?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
black96ranger

fire

Post by black96ranger »

Dude that sucks, i'm sorry to hear it. How come it backfired through the carb? Was it just an old carb, or was it a little low in time? If there's anything i can do to help, don't be afraid to ask. Just ask dbrown. see ya'll
If it scares you, stomp it harder!!!
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

Got The Pics this morning of aftermath ill try to find some of it during the fire.

4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Holy Smokes! :eek:

What they hell was feeding the fire? I don't understand how it would burn like that with the air filter and everything on.
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

Not a god damn clue all the fuel lines are not burnt through so it wasnt gasoline i guess some residue oil on the exhaust or something i cant figure it out i washed down the engine before we took off just to be safe tho so I doubt that but the fuel system still works no leaks.
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

damn that sucks it must be fire season my parents house just cought on fire two days ago! nothin to bad fires just must be have to much fun these days.
black96ranger

fire fire

Post by black96ranger »

do you think maybe something in the wiring shorted out, or might have been hooked up wrong? Just a thought, it's burnt bad enough that it most likely hid or totally consumed the culprit that caused the meltdown. My brother has a 78 f150, that caught fire like that once, and to this day we still don't know why,, it just started backfiring throught the carb and died, he got out and all hell had broken loose. Only thing that saved it was the a/c was gassed up and it burnt a hole in the high pressure line and it sprayed it out,, so ever since that day i've been a firm believer in fire extinguishers and charging up the a/c lol. Hope it isn't hard for you to fix and you can get out terrorizing the road soon! :cool:
If it scares you, stomp it harder!!!
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

yea not much wiring in there to go wrong... also the car did start when it happened so the little wiring there had to be right. and I used large gauge wires.

The only thing I can see is Spark plug #5 is cracked so maybe it was arking to the manifold or something or my other possible explanation is our rush to take a test drive one of the fuel line hose clamps was left a little loose. But I doubt that because we stopped about 5miles down the road from my house to double check everything on our way to the gas station about 10miles away and left it running while we did that so i dunno :confused:
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the manifolds or motor wasen't too close to anything plastic were they? looks like it started from the back of the carb......what kind of carb were you running? holleys have lines going to the rear bowl.....
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

it was indeed a Holley Carb. Holley Truck Avenger to be specific but the reason it looks as if it started in the back is because thats where the best airflow is. The vents infront of the windshield was the best place for heat to escape :frown:
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

Where and how is your distributer cap?

I have put out a car fire before that started in the distributor cap because the oil seal failed and the oil ignighted in the cap and melted it and then would have caught the carb on fire if we didn't have extinguishers.

This was on a 460.
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

the distributor is located right infront of the carb(front of engine)

Im thinking what happened is that my return line got blocked on my fuel regulator the fuel pressure went way up blew a seal in the carb soaked the air filter in gas and then when we stopped to get gas and the carb backfired it ignited the fuel soaked air filter.

Thats really the only way I can think of to account for how big the fire was so fast. A nice fuel soaked rag started it or in this case a $90 K&N Rag :hmmm:
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!