1984 B2 starts, but dies when I let go of the key

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
rainlyj

1984 B2 starts, but dies when I let go of the key

Post by rainlyj »

Hey everyone – hope you guys don’t mind giving advice to someone quite a bit less technically savvy when it comes to working on vehicles… I can change the oil and do a tune-up (or at least most of one… unless I have missed something in the past... lol), but beyond that, part of this project is to actually learn more about it all.

So – onward with my problem. I have an 1984 B2 that has been sitting for about 2 years. We added some new gas to the tank (I don’t think there was much in there before, but the gauge doesn’t work…) and stole my tractor battery because the other one was dead. When I bought it at an auction 2 years ago, I drove it the few miles home and it was a little tough to start and keep running (died a few times) but it would go!

Right now, when I try to start it, the engine will turn over. I have to give it some gas to get it to start (not unusual but I say this just because I noticed that it initially responds to me pressing the gas pedal). However, once I let go of the key, no matter if I keep pressing the gas or not it just dies. While the key is turned forward to “start” if I press the gas, it revs up – but if I let go of the key it dies everytime immediately.

There is something going on with my battery cable connections, because sometimes I get no power at all or a clicking and if I go wiggle them around it will go back to normal. So that is on my list of things to fix, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with it dying right away.

A friend told me he thought it might be that it is getting too much air and not enough fuel (just from my description – he hasn’t seen it), and recommended I change the accelerator pump. I accomplished this task – which was my first (albeit small) victory! LOL. Unfortunately it did not make a difference…

I have read a lot of posts and I know very frequently there is a recommendation to change the fuel filters – it just seems like maybe that isn’t the problem (even though I KNOW it is a good idea since its old and has been sitting – so I will probly do that anyway). It responds to me pressing the gas when the key is turned but not when I let go of the key.

Here is what I know about my engine - carbureted, 2.8L v6 - standard transmission. I am sure I can figure out whatever else will help. After reading all the tech stuff on here, I feel rather dumb since I don't know more - but hey... my pride is less important than my B2... LMAO!

Once income tax times comes around, I will have some money to spend and I may have to haul it down to a real mechanic – because I need it running for transportation a few days a week, but I am really, really hoping to do this myself…

Thanks in advance for any advice!!! Here is a pic of my project before I have done much of anything to it (before I let it sit there too long)…

rainlyj

Re: 1984 B2 starts, but dies when I let go of the key

Post by rainlyj »

I am not sure if this is related - but there is a part with a loose wire. I have been trying to figure out what this part is... (sigh)... I think it is a sensor, but I have been looking at wiring diagrams trying to find what it is by the wire colors with little luck so far. Maybe the diagrams I have just suck... :mad:

In the photo below (which is not my actual engine - all my photos are at home where I am not currently - I have put an orange box around this part. (it is black with 2 wires coming out the top). Does anyone know what this is? If it is some kind of oxygen sensor or something, I suspect maybe it is part of the problem because one of the wires is disconnected (in a way where it cant just be twisted back together). I want to buy a new one and put it on there, but I am not sure exactly what it is... There seem to be several sensors and all of the ones I have google'd and looked up at parts stores online do not look like this... (the closest I have found is a coolant temperature sensor - which maybe this is?)

Thanks again!!!

RJ
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

I used to have a civic that did the same thing turns out it was the ignition switch everytime u let off the key it would die I changed out the switch and it ran fine after that hope this helps
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'm leaning toward the ignition switch as well. Turn the key to the run position and see if you have power at the coil.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

rainlyj wrote:I am not sure if this is related - but there is a part with a loose wire. I have been trying to figure out what this part is... (sigh)... I think it is a sensor, but I have been looking at wiring diagrams trying to find what it is by the wire colors with little luck so far. Maybe the diagrams I have just suck... :mad:

In the photo below (which is not my actual engine - all my photos are at home where I am not currently - I have put an orange box around this part. (it is black with 2 wires coming out the top). Does anyone know what this is? If it is some kind of oxygen sensor or something, I suspect maybe it is part of the problem because one of the wires is disconnected (in a way where it cant just be twisted back together). I want to buy a new one and put it on there, but I am not sure exactly what it is... There seem to be several sensors and all of the ones I have google'd and looked up at parts stores online do not look like this... (the closest I have found is a coolant temperature sensor - which maybe this is?)

Thanks again!!!

RJ
The single wire is the temp sensor for the temp gauge, the other is going to be a temperature switch that tells the computer if the engine is cold, or already warmed up. Not likely to be part of your problem.
rainlyj

Post by rainlyj »

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for the advice. It turned out to be the ignition switch and I changed it out successfully!

I appreciate the help! Of course, now that it starts and will idle ok, I have come upon the next group of problems! :eek:

But I feel more confident that I can tackle at least some of them. It will likely be after Christmas before I get much time/money to work on the next stuff, but I am sure I will be back for more advice.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for following up, helps people in the future. Glad you got it figured out.