bronco died

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Smash32

bronco died

Post by Smash32 »

the starter hasn't worked for several months now, so when i wwent to push start it it just bogged down and didnt run and when i was getting a tow back home i tryed to bump start it again and all it did was "pop" and just bog down it wouldnt start the shifter were shaking like a s.o.b. but it just wouldnt start i need this thing to run any suggestions?
Bones

Re: bronco died

Post by Bones »

Pretty vague on the details/particulars of your rig. Year, engine, modified/stock, does it get driven every day? These type details will help.

I'll throw a few pointers out for ya anyways.

Basically you need 3 things to make the engine run; fuel, air and spark.

Buy a starter, it will make trouble shooting the problem a lot easier.

Buy a fuel filter and install it.

Is it fuel injected?

Do you have fuel in it?

Does it have fuel pressure with the key on if fuel injected, you can usually hear the pump make a quiet whirring noise for a couple seconds after the key is turned on. A fuel pressure gauge can help on this one, or you can risk life and limb by depressing the schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for pressure, beware that the fuel pressure can be as much as 65psi and can result in injury from fuel spray if not careful when depressing the valve on the fuel rail. If not enough fuel pressure the engine won't run.

With a carburetted engine you can usually pull the air cleaner off and watch for fuel spray by looking down the inside of the carb as you manually turn the throttle linkage by hand. If it sprays most likely the mechanical fuel pump is OK.

Does it have spark?

Did you check the under hood fuses for blown ones?
Yes my neck is red.
Smash32

Post by Smash32 »

it has a brand new starter in it but it just wont engage its a 1984 bronco ii 5 speed manual 2.8L v6
jimbones

Post by jimbones »

Lets clarify died and won't engage.
1 -Died as in battery voltage wen't deador died as in was driving down the road and the engine quit running
2- wont engage as inyou turn the key to the crank position and the starter motor does nothing or engage as the motors will crank over from the starter motor turning it over but the engine wont go in to run mode and remain there?
Smash32

Post by Smash32 »

my bronco ran to where i was going but right before i shut it off it started running like shit it popped not like a back fire i dont know what it was then i shut it off and when i went to push start it it just made the same sound and was bogging the whole time it was rolling it just wouldnt start, and the starter, if i turn the key u can hear it spin u know but it wont turn the flywheel like its not even touching it at all, i dont know whats going on but it was working before a long time ago but since i changed the original starter that was in it when i first bought it it has been doing that, and sometimes it will work but it sounds like shit u can hear grinding but only when it actually tries to work