Carb rebuid?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

Carb rebuid?

Post by neb_scot »

Im not quite at the point of having to do this yet but knowing my luck I expect it to him me this summer. Its having difficulty at starting once the engine is warm, and Ive also had a mechanic verbally confirm to me that it is on its last legs.

I have few questions -

At the danger of being flammed for asking an obvious question - what causes the need to rebuild the carb? Is it the buildup of crap? Back home in the UK there was a probuct called "Redex" that we could run through the carb, that did and ASTOUNDING job of cleaning out the gunk. It could also be used for cleaning out the cylinders without having to take off the head. Would this stuff help?

Is the task as literal as the name suggests - IE - would I have to break it down to its individual components and then reassemble it?

Are there any other tricks out there that you could suggest? This years tax return has given me a little money to invest in my B2 so I want to spend it wisely....

...course if bleeding my breaks goes horribly wrong there is little point in me even bothering about this....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Nobody

Re: Carb rebuid?

Post by Nobody »

If it's having a hard time starting when warm, make sure the choke is all the way open. It's usually a rich condition. Holding the gas peddle to the floor while cranking will help if it is a rich condition.

Rebuilding does require completely disassembling and thoroughly cleaning everything. There are diaphrams and stuff that get old and leak. Choke assembly gets dirty and stops working smooth. Throttle linkage bushings wear out and create vacuum leaks.

My experience is rebuilding is kinda a last resort. The kits don't cost much and if it solves your problem then great. Otherwise you make need to look for a reman to solve your problem.
Ruffinit

Re: Carb rebuid?

Post by Ruffinit »

The reasons behind it are as Nobody said. Breakdown and replace all the 20 year old rubber and gaskets... The instructions for the rebuild of the carb should be pretty good and lead you through the rebuilding process.

Whether you decide on doing it yourself, or buying a rebuild, make sure when you put it on your engine that you go through all the adjustment steps in your BII's manual (Chilton/Haynes) and then go back and do them again.. Time is the best thing you can give this, and it'll take over an hour to do once you have it on the engine and the engine running.

If you are looking for a substitute for REDEX, I would look into a product called SeaFoam. You can get it at your local NAPA and I've heard some say that you can get it a Wally-World, but I haven't seen it there.