Which C4??

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
kylebronco2

Which C4??

Post by kylebronco2 »

Im planning on putting a 5L into my bronco mid-august. Im running a C5 right now, from what I understand I can just swap over a bellhousing/TC from a C4 trans to get it to match up. What im not sure is what year C4 to get it from, if it matters? Also I would like to eventually use a Dana 20 twin stick t-case. To get this to match the C4 I need a C4 tailshaft from an early bronco...is that correct? Or do I have to buy an adapter for like 500$? Any info is greatly apreciated. Thanks :cool:
86 C5 Auto BII, FS Axles, 37 Swampers
gunbunny

Post by gunbunny »

I think that you can use any c-4 as long it was used in a 4x4 I know they were uesd in f150s untill 1980

I may be worng I am wanting to run the same set-up
gunbunny

Post by gunbunny »

I have been told you have to use one out of a EB that had a D-20

guess thats what I get for thinking LOL
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Any C4 bell housing will fit, if it is a case mouint it is easy, if you end up with one that mounts to the front pump housing make sure you get bolts that are the proper length.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
MikePotts

Post by MikePotts »

you will also need to use a torque convertor from a c-4 since the c-5 has a lockup feature, and the c-4 valve body will need to be used, again to by pass the lockup functions in the c-5 valve body. i simply used a complete c-4 i had to disassemble the trans and replace the output shaft and extention housing from the c-5 in the c-4. you can see detailed pics of my conversion here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1804091

mike