89 bronco II was put in the lake....help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
u52323

89 bronco II was put in the lake....help

Post by u52323 »

Over weekend I took my 89 ford bronco II out to the creek banks to see what she was made of and there was an unexpected drop off on the creek bottom and the bronco fell into the creek. Only thing above the water was the spare tire. We pulled her out and let her dry for 2 days and took parts off and replaced parts and etc. Last night we cranked her up and she purred like a kitten and drove well. People are now telling me that she wont last two weeks without giving me trouble or quitting on me. Please advise.....has anyone on here put their bronco in the water and saved it? Any advise will be helpful. Thank you.

Randall[/b]
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well, I would certainly expect to be haunted by this well into the future. I still have gear oil seeping out my dash from my roll a few years ago.

You might see some electrical problems pop up here and there from corrosion, and you may have taken a few years of life out of your engine. But overall, I see no reason that it shouldn't keep running.

I would definately change the oil a few times in a very short period of time.
u52323

Post by u52323 »

Thanks nobody. I have put on new spark plugs, air filter, new oil and oil filter, drained the gas tank and got water out of just about everything before I cranked it over. What type of electrical probs do you think will occur? I will change oil again here shortly...is there anything I can do now to prevent future electrical probs?

Thanks.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well it's just speculation on my part. I would expect anywhere a ground wire attaches to the body, you might get some rust. Bad grounds then can cause all kinds of funny things to happen. Depending on where you live, you may not experience any rust.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Relays, solenoids, starters, alternators to name a few. They don't like water. I sank mine a couple of weeks ago and the stater solenoid doesn't always kick the starter in and the alternator bearing is howling. Corrosion on the relays, for the emissions and other parts, will form an they will malfunction. But I wouldn't worry about those for a while. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

you mentioned you drained the engine oil but I see no mention of draing the Diffs and Tranny/T-Case :)
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

Yeap I agree with dreded ^^^^ You got breathers on the t-case and diffs, I would shure as hell not want water to get in there.

You might have some corrosion problems to look forward to. I have the same problems, like the alternator and starter. I remember when I was first going out with my B2 in the Mud, F-ed up my old starter real fast! The damn thing did the opposite of what usually happens to em, THE SOLENOID WAS STAYING ON! It would crank over and then it would start to sound like I was grinding a tranny, then when I took it out, the whole thing had burn marks. But thats just one of my stories :D

Yea be careful with it, if any little thing happens, find out what it is!
230,000 miles and she still turns heads
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have sunk my truck several times........after a few days you will see if anything is going to happen. the last time I brought one back form hydro lock we had to replace a TPS, air filter, oil/filter, and the plugs. like was said before, you need to check all the fluids and drain anything that has water in it. it's just cheap insurence. the biggest thing I didn't like was the mildew smell.......it's still in there and I have gutted my interior.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

We need some PICS!!!!!! :finger: