Highsteer??

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

Highsteer??

Post by FatMan »

hey Nobody or anyone else with Highsteer. i sure could use a parts list i know i asked before, and searched but could'nt find it. im not sure if it's on the old board or not. basically just want to know if you used chevy knuckles and spindles with ford rotors? which calipers? also was there any reaming involved?
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You are always getting reamed when it comes to ford parts... :finger:
Couldn't help myself. :laugh:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

Found this link a while back, it has some BOM numbers and all ford parts from a 1/2 ton supercab (hard to find) instead of swapping to chebby. http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Even though I tend to say High steer, we're really only talking about flipping the tie rod on top of the knuckle. High steer makes use of the chev flat top knuckles where you mount a new steering arm on top of the knuckle.

There are a couple different combinations of knuckles, and brake hardware that you can you use.

#1 You can use the stock ford stuff that you already have. Problem with that is, the steering arm is the lowest of them all.

#2 You can use the chevy knuckles as I did. I had planned on doing a real high-steer, but I've pretty much dropped that idea. I don't think it's necessary for what I do. The nice thing about the chevy knuckles is many of them are already reamed from the top.

To use the the chevy knuckles, you'll need the OLD small chevy spindles (72-76 or so), chevy backing plate, calipers, stub shaft and a FORD rotor assembly. The small chevy spindles use the same size bearings as the ford spindles.

#3 You can use the ford drum brake knuckles. The steering arm is slightly higher than the chevy knuckles. You'll need to ream them to fit the tie rod on top. Use the same brake parts as above. You'll have to grind the knuckle slightly for caliper clearance. This is probably what I'm going to switch to.

#4 You can use the scout knuckles, which have the highest steering arm of them all. These require a lot of work if you want to use them. Quinns write-up is gone, I can't really help with this one.

Anyway, here is a pic from is website
Left Ford Disc, Middle Ford Drum, Right Scout
The chevy knuckles fall in between the ford disc and ford drum.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

hey binbad thank's i'll read up on the info tonight after work. Nobody that's what i was looking for i dont need highsteer i just would like to move the steering rod up alittle. this is all for the eb d44 i have.
Nobody i know you did'nt use a stock eb trac bar but will a stock one work?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I did use a stock EB track bar ;)
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

okay so im blind. :redneck: i was looking at your drag link.....
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

hey Nobody what year knuckles?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you know you can ream the knuckles and flip to the top of the mounting point don't you? just ream for the chevy junk and make your steering out of DOM. I plan on doing it once I get to actualy drive mine for the first time.......
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

is there a certain size reamer i need to ream the stock ford knuckles? will it weakin the knuckle?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I think it is a 7*. you will be removing more material but I think you will be fine there are alot of people running the chevy TRE/DOM setup over on fullsizebronco.com and they like it. the only problems they are having is the passenger side draglink connection seems to want to bend because there is a slight bend to begin with in that location, but you might be able to fix that if you have the hole drilled into the DOM and ream that for the drag link. then you could use the stock draglink also.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com