leaf or coil?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
no v8? why drive?

Post by no v8? why drive? »

high pinon front diffs are approx 30% stronger than low pinion. The reason for this is in a low pinion differential, it is really just a rear gear set that is now being used in the front. This means that the gears now have to turn backwards of their normal rotation direction that they were designed. the gears are now turning on the weak side of the gear like they would in the back if you are driving in reverse. The back side of the gear is about 30% weaker due to the design of the gearset and contact surface area. A high pinion front axle fixes this by placing the pinion above the ring gear and using reverse cut gears. Now the front gears are turning on the strong side of the gears with the most contact area when driving forwards. That is what makes high pinion diffs more desirable, besides the increased ground clearance and shallower driveshaft angles. The bolt pattern on all of them but the 8 bolt d60 will have the 5x5.5 bolt pattern I believe.
87 4X4 Ranger 306ci AOD NP205 fw d44/8.8 5.13s
94 4x4 Navajo 8" lift
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

high pinion is more desireable because of driveline angles being better. I would definatly want the high pinion front but the low pinion rear is what I am sticking with for the moment. the advantages of a high pinion rear are the driveline angles and ground clearence only. I would think the high pinion rear would be working on the wrong side of the tooth in forward gears, so the LP is the way to go untill you absolutly need it.

and yes, the HP/LP is talking about there the pinion makes contact with the ring gear....either above the center line or below.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
kylebronco2

Post by kylebronco2 »

Alright than thanks for the info, im assuming that the F-250s with a D44 in front are HP....
no v8? why drive?

Post by no v8? why drive? »

only in the years posted...
87 4X4 Ranger 306ci AOD NP205 fw d44/8.8 5.13s
94 4x4 Navajo 8" lift