Starter turns but won't engage the flywheel

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Pokeyo

Starter turns but won't engage the flywheel

Post by Pokeyo »

Hello, I have a 1990 Bronco II with a 2.9l engine. The starter is new, the wires are all new. I have swapped batteries around. Everything is clean as can be. The truck is a manual. I have had this problem for awhile now. Turn the key, the starter turns, but won't engage the engine. I have had the starter tested, and it tests ok. Actually this is the second new starter. When I had this problem with the first starter I replaced it. This second one did start the engine for about 10 times then stopped engaging the flywheel. Any ideas you all might have would be appreciated :) Sorry if I repeated myself, but just trying to cover all bases. Thanks :)
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

broken teeth on the flywheel maybe? ALso are you sure you have the right starter that is long enough to engage the flywheel?
Pokeyo

Post by Pokeyo »

Flywheel is fine, and the starter is the correct unit. Verified that. I can see the starter just spin by looking thru the opening at the bottom of the bell housing. But bench testing it, it pops out like it should. Only thing I can get out of the parts store people is, try Ford.. they may know something. Local dealership said sure, bring it in. Heh.. Thanks for the reponse :)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Have you had your battery tested, and made sure that it's properly grounded with clean terminals?

Are there any grinding noises?
Pokeyo

Post by Pokeyo »

Battery is fine, we changed batteries a few times just to be sure. Pulled the one out of my 76 Ford p/u with 351. And the wires are all new. We, at one point ran a ground directly to the starter just to be sure. If we pull the starter away from the engine, it kicks out, but plugged into its hole it won't kick out. Its the weirdest problem I have ever come across. I am hoping to find someone that has had this issue with the same vehicle. I am still looking for answers, but the owner has taken to a repair shop. A place I don't trust. He needed a new clutch and they told him his transfer case was shot. Heh ! Thanks for the replies :D
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

The ring gear is pressed on I believe. Maybe it is slipping on the flywheel. or has moved back away so the starter won't engage it anymore. Have you tried to the motor over by hand and try to engage at a different part of the flywheel? Just some thoughts.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well assuming that the ring gear is in good condition, starter is good and installed correctly, you have good power, and no grinding noises..... the only other thing I can think of is oil is leaking from the valve cover onto the starter causing the bendix to be sticky. This would be worse in cold weather. I've seen this a few times.....but that would mean your starter is not in good condition!

There really isn't any mystery. It's a pretty simple system.

Here are your options.

1. Something is physically stopping the bendix from enguaging the flywheel. In which case, I would expect some noise, unless the teeth on the ring gear are ground down.

2. There isn't enough power to kick the bendix out. This can be from a weak battery or bad connections, or from too high internal resistance on the starter. It may appear to bench test ok, but when you put the load of turning the engine over, the voltage drop will cause the starter to disenguage. Sometimes by adding a second battery(jump start) you can overcome that resistance and it will start.
Pokeyo

Post by Pokeyo »

The owner took it to a repair shop and they replaced the starter again... Guess we will see in the next few days what happens. thanks all for your replies will post on what happens now. Thanks !!!!!
Pokeyo

Post by Pokeyo »

OK, a professional mechanic changed the starter, and it lasted all of 12 starts. Then they towed it back to their place and replaced the flywheel. That cost $800.00 and guess what, starter still doesn't engage the flywheel. My friend made sure to get the old flywheel and its in good shape. He might junk the BII not sure yet. IF he does... I might take pics and put them up here and see if anyone wants any parts. BUT... he isn't sure yet. He might let the professional mechanic soak him for more money. In a previous post I mentioned that this same mechanic wanted to replace his transfer case when he needed a clutch. Yikes ! Anyway, just thought I would keep yas up to date on the nightmare :D
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sounds like somebody needs a new mechanic :rolleyes:
Pokeyo

Post by Pokeyo »

yeah... well that mechanic will take time payments so he was a nice choice for my friend. Bad choice if you want your vehicle fixed.. :D