rear driveshahft questions

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jerrysbroncoii

rear driveshahft questions

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

i have a 88' bronco II and i have purchased a 6" skyjacker lift for it. my rear drive shaft is the cv joint style and i know it needs to be changed, but i dont know what i need to change it to, and by the way this will be my first lift install, so i have limited knowledge on how to do it, any advice would be greatly appreciated
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, the type of drive shaft you need to look for it the style with 3 u-joints in it. they were in some BII from the factory so you can track one of those down......but when I got my lift I swapped in a duff shaft and it worked fine with my 3". with 6" you will need more length, so when you call to order your new one I would reomend you have a conversation with the guy ion the other end on the phone. you might need to install the lift then give the guy a measurement if they are going to build you a custom shaft.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

thanks for your reply, i will give james duff a call tomorrow and see what they say, i have heard rumors also that you can get one out of the ford explores and have them cut to fit, the promblem i am haveing is i have heard to many different things to do
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

With a 6" lift, you will definately need a longer driveline. You will need to get a different yolk for your transfer case. I'm not sure what most people use, I believe it's possible to upgrade to 1310 u-joint.

You can either purchase a new driveline, have one built at a local shop, or find a junkyard driveline and have it cut down. I personally usually just finde one and have it cut.

You definately want to find one with the "double cardan" joint at one end. Looks like 2 u-joints together. These help prevent vibrations, and help the u-joints live longer.

This is what a double cardan joint looks like. Most folks refer to it as a CV joint. In our case, since Bronco II's sometimes use a real CV joint (ball and socket), we need to be clear.
Attachments
DCP_6524.jpg
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

ok, mine thats in there now looks nothing like either one of those, it looks like the ball and joint, cv shaft where it bolts in a the rear diff, what year, make , model drivshaft do i need to look for to have cut down or made?
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

ok i got on the james duff site and they have a drive shaft like the one you were showing, it runs for like $339.50, is this a good price or could i find one cheaper?
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

i also need to know if i need to make any changes to the front drive shaft?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You have the "real" CV joint shaft. I can't find a pic of one. Because of this, you need to change the yolk on your transfer case. Which ever yolk you change to, will determine what size u-joint your drive shaft needs. So you need to research which yolk you need. You could always just use a stock one, but if you're going to the trouble to upgrade, that's a waste.

I just had a driveshaft cut for $50. When dealing with used parts, there isn't a specific application. You just go find one that has the size joints you need. If you're lucky, you might not even need to cut it.

If you aren't that resourceful, then you should probably buy new or have one made. Call up a local shop and get a quote. If it's cheaper than duff, then go for it.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

jerrysbroncoii wrote:i also need to know if i need to make any changes to the front drive shaft?
Yep, that will need to be lengthened. Really, you should consider swapping out transfercases so you can get a flange on the front, and that would solve your problem in the rear as well. I believe an exploder case would bolt up, and uses 1310 joints.
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

so, let me see it would be best to get a transfercase and both drive shafts out of a n explorer and just have both shafts lengthen, if i do that will the rear drive shaft have the right u bolt and angles that i need?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I think you would be looking pretty good with the exploder stuff. You would need to cut the rear shaft, and may need to extend the front. I don't know for sure.

Of course, you really might as well drop in a V8 and real transmission and tranfercase. Throw away the TTB front suspension, and upgrade that rear axle. :finger:

Welcome to the world of 4x4's! :eek:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Technically, I believe some 1990 Bronco II's came with the upgraded case that the exploders have.
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

heres the thing i have my broncoii that i drive everyday that i was going to do this to, but my mothers boyfriend's friend has one with a 351w in it and it has a granny gear trans, but he was wheeling last weekend and cracked the tranny case on a rock, not knowing it he threw a rod in the engine by reveing the rpms and it let go, i might have a chance to pick this rig up for like a 100 bucks and has 8" lift on it, and my mothers boyfreind has a 94 f150 that was totalled and he said i could have the engine, 302, that runs, therefore all i would need is another tranny, but i am still working on this deal so if that doesnt work i have to go back to my bronco
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

would you happen to know the type of tranny i would be looking for in a newer bronco?
jerrysbroncoii

Post by jerrysbroncoii »

and would this newer broncoii have the right driveshaft as far as the u joints go?