Buying a 1988 Bronco 4WD 5-Speed

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
apitts

Buying a 1988 Bronco 4WD 5-Speed

Post by apitts »

Hello all, and forgive me in advance, this is my first post on this forum.

This weekend, I will be looking at a 1988 Ford Bronco II 5 speed manual transmission from a family friend (that i dont really know all too well)
In any event, he is asking $1000, so its definitely worth my time to at least look at it! He states there are no major issues/issues he can think of, and from the pictures (pictures mind you), the paint looks to be in decent shape, and I dont see any rust spots. The interior didnt have many pictures, but thats fine, I could see through the windows it at least had all its seats. He even has the tire on the back swing door as well.

Now given he states there are no issues, I obviously am skeptical, and I don't want to press without seeing the car first since he is asking only $1000, and I dont want to spoil good graces if it is indeed pretty cherry. Nonetheless, I am curious what you guys (experts) recommend that I look for, common issues, etc. I have been reading on here about the related. What should I check for? Look for? Besides all the working basics. I am curious what the condition of the undercarriage looks like, so I'll get to that first.

With that being said, if I indeed get the vehicle, I plan to take good care just like my other vehicles (2014 Mustang Gt Premium, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road) with all the maintenance required, cosmetic and mechanical. I understand an older vehicle like this can be quite different from more modern vehicles so that is another reason I am here. So, if I buy this car, would should be the first things to check? Engine oil, tranny oil, transfer case, diff?

Ignore my stupidity if you detect it here. But I appreciate any pointers. I am going to try to attach some pictures I have at the moment, I cant seem to find the others he had. Thank you all.

Austin
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
tekatlarge

Re: Buying a 1988 Bronco 4WD 5-Speed

Post by tekatlarge »

Thats a nice looking BII. I see quite a few positives to it. It's a stick with a manual Transfer case. It looks clean. If it runs good I would jump on it in a minute. It has nice wheels and room for bigger ones with the body lift it has. check the water level in the radiator and if it is real low there is the possibility of a cracked cylinder head. 2.9's are famous for cracking heads if they ever overheat. the 2.9L motor is noisy with a lot of lifter and injector noise as the injectors are mounted to a tin type injector housing. If it checks out you would have a good little rig. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast