Back home!!!!

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
JCinTN

Back home!!!!

Post by JCinTN »

Well it's been a while since I was on the board - was gone for a year so I just re-registered - looks good! Nice to see some familiar names still on here - I caught up with DBrown on TRS and see he is over here mostly.

The bad news is I came home to my BII sucking coolant into the oil :eek:

The good news is the wife said it just started, so hopefully no huge damage has been done. I drained the oil and refilled with clean and parked it due to lack of time and funds at the moment. I am hoping to get this fixed in the next week, and I hope it's just the lower intake gasket and not the heads. Keep your fingers crossed for me please....

Anyways, glad to be back in the USA!

:usa:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Welcome back!

Care to enlighten us on the situation there?

Semper Fi :usa:
JCinTN

Post by JCinTN »

Well I was in Afghanistan and not Iraq. Everyone seems to ask about Iraq - so I have no info for you if that is what you were looking for. As far as Afghanistan goes -

I worked detainee operations, dealt with suspected or known enemy combatants/terrorists that were caught/captured. The stuff that happened at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq affected us in that we had a lot of inspections to make sure we weren't doing anything wrong. Lots of brass around all the time but they were happy with the way we were running things and complimented us on it all the time. I got to travel out to some Afghan villages in convoys to do some humanitarian aid type stuff on my off days, and for the most part the Afghani people liked us and wanted us there. They are afraid the Taliban will come back if we pull out and don't want us to leave tham hanging. I got to go on several helicopter missions (CH-47 Chinooks) to forward fire bases to pick up detainees - that was more fun than being at the "prison".

The base I was on was pretty safe for the most part. We were under rocket attack about 17 different times during the year, all you can do is go to the nearest bunker and wait for the rockets to stop coming. Fortunatley, the people shooting them usually just propped them on a rock and set some kind of crude timer (since they didn't want to be waiting around for an ass - whoopin). So thank goodness their aim was poor and hardly ever came close to us. Closest one was about 100 yards from me, and that was close enough for my liking. :eek:

The area outside our wire was heavily mined. One night I woke up to big boom about 150 yards away and heard a guy screaming. It was a local national outside our perimeter who went walking in the dark and ran out of luck....

I was glad to be in Afghanistan as opposed to Iraq, it was much safer for the most part. And we had a small PX on the base and later on got a little trailer with a limited burger king in it. Now thats not too bad for a combat zone!!!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Thank you for that!

I like hearing it from the source!
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Glad ya made it back okay.... :cool: :usa:
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Welcome home. I am glad you are back. Its been a long time. Keep up the good work.

Good luck on the B2 also.

:usa: :usa: :usa:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

welcome back to the board......how did y'all fair out in the ice we just had?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
JCinTN

Post by JCinTN »

Hey Dbrown -

I live about 50 miles south of Nashville and it wasn't too bad here. I heard you guys had it much worse up there. We had no problems getting around. I was frustrated when I heard storms were coming though - cuz the BII is a champ in snow but I can't drive mine til I get it fixed. Should be getting her done this week or early next.

How'd you guys do? I heard I-24 was backed up for like 50 miles into KY?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, we had 3"-4" of ice on everything.....it didn't completely go away untill tues. they closed the parkway.....indiana got 20+ inches of snow. driving the tow rig sucked because it is 2wd, but I know how to drive in this crap so I got around ok. just cept my tow bag in the cab in case I got hung up and threw some extra weight in the back

we do not have the salt trucks and equipment ness, here to handle more then a few inches of snow much less ice. it was fun though
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

Welcome home JC. THANK YOU for all that you have done . :usa: I just got thru with an SRP myself.
JCinTN

Post by JCinTN »

TNMAN,

You getting ready to have to go overseas again already? I was thinking you haven't been back for very long....