np435 troubles

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jester

np435 troubles

Post by jester »

Hi guys. I have an np435/205 in my Bronco II from a '76 F-250. Its never been rebuilt or had any seals replaced. Last week at a stop light I couldn't get it to go into second gear. I pulled the aluminum cover off of the top (man I'm sure glad I torched out my floor when I put this in so I could get to at a later time if needed) and found that the end of the spring which pushes it out of gear when the shifter releases it, was pushed into one of the dolls that the gear slides into. I cut the end of the spring off, which I'm not sure if its just supposed to sit up against the gear in front of it. I can now slide into second gear using my hands, but when I put the cover back on, it still won't go into second gear. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fix this without pulling the tranny?

If I have to pull it, its going to be sitting until next summer. Sitting on the snow in the driveway when its freezing outside probably won't happen. Can't really drive this thing without second. 1st is so low I'm turning 5,000+ rpms I can walk faster than the truck is moving.

Thanks for any info I can get.
#!/bin/bash
$0 & $0 &
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

can you alter this pic to show us what you are talking about?

I had a problem going back into 2nd after working on mine but after I pulled the shifter and reinstalled it, that took care of the problem......however I think you have a more involved problem if you had to alter one of the springs. if you have to remove one of the springs you are going to have to remove the tranny to get the internals out. you basicly have to remove the retainer on the front to get the guts out.
Attachments
np435 041.JPG
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Yeah...I'm having a hard time visualizing what the problem is. Not sure I could be of much help anyway.

BTW- welcome back. The website is running on FreeBSD these days ;)
jester

Post by jester »

FreeBSD, my favorite :) Didn't know if you'd remember me, I've been a silent reader here for quite awhile now.

I painted that picture a little to show where the spring is. Its pretty thin, so if its supposed to be where its at, I don't know if you could see it in the picture. The yellow paint shows which gears its between and the blue shows the dowl that the end of the spring got caught behind. If there was a picture with the tranny in first gear, you'd probably be able to better what I'm talking about.

I've too had problems getting that cover back on correctly, but mostly with the 3-4 gears.

And great writeup on installing gears...I've been looking for that kind of detailed information before I ever attempt to do it myself.
Attachments
t_np435_modified.jpg
t_np435_modified.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
#!/bin/bash
$0 & $0 &
jester

Post by jester »

Instead of trying to explain it, I figure I might as well take a picture. Here is mine in first gear and its pretty easy to what isn't right.

Should probably get that cover back on, after taking this pic I noticed piece of carpet and dirt sitting in the gear oil, lol.
Attachments
np435-1st.gear.jpg
#!/bin/bash
$0 & $0 &
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

yeah, you are going to have to pull the tranny to replace it. I don't think you will find a quick fix that will last.

jester

Post by jester »

Yeah, I'm pretty much denying the ineviteable. From looking at rebuild kits (http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18/96/21007) I don't think that spring is supposed to come out of that syncro.

I think a neighbor has a junk 435 he said I could have, maybe I'll take him up on it and rebuild it. These tranny's don't seem that complicated, but I've read about people messing up their input shafts because of improper end play. Does anyone know a manual or webpage that goes thru the rebuild process? I wish I could somehow jimmy rig my tranny I have now for the rest of the winter.

I have to cut my exhaust out to get the t-case out too :(
#!/bin/bash
$0 & $0 &
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

when I tore mine apart I basicly was playin it by ear, I got an exploded pic and some guidence from a guy on pirate...... I was going to do a writeup on how to take it apart, and I think I even started it, but some crap went down over the summer and I had to be out of town for a few months off and on....I can tell you this, it is one of the easiest trannies to take apart. it was my first tranny teardown......and it worked when I got done anyway :redneck: