Breaking Front Half Shafts

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
cooner

Breaking Front Half Shafts

Post by cooner »

I keep twisting of factory front half shafts. What is the best way to beef up the front drive?
tekatlarge

Re: Breaking Front Half Shafts

Post by tekatlarge »

cooner wrote:I keep twisting of factory front half shafts. What is the best way to beef up the front drive?

Well if ya running Dana 28 then that is to be expected. :mad2: When you put aggressive tires on a BII and wheel it hard it will continue to tear up axles and U joints. :flipoff: The standard swap is going Dana 35
From an 91 thru 94 Exploder or of course there are a bunch of SAS ways to go. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

back off on the skinny pedal.
cooner

Post by cooner »

Thanks tekatlarge! It is frustrating to keep replacing half shafts. I am just running the factory 2.9L engine but it cranks some torque and will go more places than all my buddies full size trucks etc. I was curious what would be a good swap. There are a lot of good explorer junkers in my area. Sure I can find a replacement.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The explorer swap is the most common. it will increase the track width by I think it is 3 inches total. This may lead to some tire rub depending on your fenders. If you use the rig on the streets be sure you have the flared fender type setup or the cops will try to write you up for exposed tires outside the vehicle or no mud flaps.

The other swaps are straight axle types and are not just a swap installation.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast