SAS

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Wes

SAS

Post by Wes »

New to the site, looks good. Just starting a SAS on my B2, have a D44 HP for the front and a D60 for the rear. I was originally going to use leaves in my suspension, but have noticed all of you seem to have used coils. Just wondering if theres a reason for this. Also, I am using a np203/205 dual case setup, so will be extending the wheelbase with this swap. Any help or input at all regarding this swap would be greatly appreciated, thanks

-Wes
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

Most of the coils you see here are because the front axles are from an early bronco or a ford half ton axle. It's the same axle as what you have except 1/2 tons use radius arms and coils in the front, leafs in the rear. 3/4 ton and up use leafs front and rear, which is what it sounds like you have. Have you thought about 3 or 4 link setup?? Oh and welcome to the board.
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I had leafs up front and hated it!! they sucked then i went to coils and loved them. Im going to three link the rear soon. Leafs suck because they kill your approch angle and they will bend into S's if you have soft flexy ones.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Havent thought about 3 or 4 link as of yet, doing this build on a budget, and just want to get the bigger stuff under the truck. So far with the stock diffs ive broken U joints everytime ive went out, which gets pretty old. So since im using 3/4 gear do you think it would be smarter to use leaves for suspension, or should i think more about coils? New to Broncos, so any help would be a bonus. Dont feel like making a ton of mistakes in this build that i dont have to. Thanks again
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well alot of poeple use the coils in the front because the stock coil buckets can be used and they are already there. if you are using the 3/4 ton stuff it will be set up for leafs, but you can get the weld on c wedges and go that rought if you choose. if I had the choice I would use the coils. for the fact that approch angles will be better. but both can be made to flex well.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I bought weld on axle wedges and welded to the D44HP. You are doing the same swap as me axle wise. They were $75 and then all you need is F-150 radius arms and coil cups to bolt on to them. I don't have time to write more but if you have any more questions just ask.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
Wes

Post by Wes »

Thanks for the input so far. Im sure ill have some more questions eventually. Any more input would be appreciated.

-Wes
Wes

Post by Wes »

Made an executive descision, and am going with coils. Got a set of wedges, just need to know what coils people have used. Wondering if the existing coils i have would work maybe. Doing this on a budget, so something i can find in the junkyard would be nice.

-Wes
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you can use the stock coils from a 73-79 FS pu or bronco but I hear they are stiff for the ranger/bii

the duff 3.5" lift coils work well with the BII
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Wes

Post by Wes »

What about the coils ive got in their now? Not sure on the make or anything, but theyre about 3.5" and are orange if the helps you decifer a brand name. Just wondering if i could just re use them.
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

I heard someone say they were using aerostar spings for lift? Anyone else ever hear of that?
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I run james duff early bronco coils for a 3.5 inch lift for them which comes out to about 6 inches on my BII. Arostar coils are really really really soft and flex alot so they would suck for the front but for the back if you have very little wight back there it would be good. (thats what im going to run.
Wes

Post by Wes »

one more question for you all. since im doing this on a budget,im thinking about reusing my current coils up front (4" BII lift coils) and rear (4" Lift Leaves). Any thoughts on this?
Wes

Post by Wes »

two more question for you all. since im doing this on a budget,im thinking about reusing my current coils up front (4" BII lift coils) and rear (4" Lift Leaves). Any thoughts on this? and how much lift will the SAS instantly give me? thnaks guys
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I wouldn't recommend reusing TTB coils. The Duff EB coils are proven, and the cheapest. Only $117 from duff. You can probably sell your TTB lift for more than that.

How much lift you get depends on which coils and coil buckets you use. If you use the duff coils, and stock buckets, expect a solid 6" after things settle.

What you do in the rear depends on what you want out of your suspension.