86 Bronco 2 Clutch issues

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
danboy282

86 Bronco 2 Clutch issues

Post by danboy282 »

I just bought an 86 Bronco 2 eddie bauer 4x4, and the guy i bought it from put a new clutch in it said he drove it for a little while and now the clutch won't engage (stuck in or out of gear). I believe it to be just a matter of bleeding the system, but I am not sure exactly on the procedure. Is the salve cylinder on the firewall, or is it one of those concentric slave cylinders that mount over the input shaft in the bell housing? Or does it have both?

Another thing, the guys dad (previous legal owner) told me his kid(driver) may have used power steering fluid instead of DOT 3 brake fluid. Obviously, I will need to flush the system thoroughly, but will it affect the slave cylinder or tranny in anyway.

Thanks for helping out a F.N.G.
Mud Addict

Re: 86 Bronco 2 Clutch issues

Post by Mud Addict »

I use a hand operate vaccum/bleeder to do mine. The bleeder screw sticks out of the bell housing just above where the line goes in.
danboy282

Post by danboy282 »

do you think power steering fluid would mess with the slave cylinder at all?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

About 5 years ago I went to fix an old mans brakes because he did the same basic thing. He put Power steering fluid in his master cylinder instead of brake fluid. I pulled the master
Cylinder put a rebuild kit in it and flushed the rest of the crap out. The total time the system had the oil in it was maybe 48 hrs and you could see the rubber components had started to swell.

See in as this is just the clutch try to flush out the crap and replace with fluid and if you have any leaks replace the components.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
danboy282

Post by danboy282 »

Thanks for the info every1