transmission trouble

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
nrandell

transmission trouble

Post by nrandell »

I was just driving along one day and all of a sudden my engine revs up high and I start coasting to a stop, like when a manual transmission pops out of gear. If I try to shift to reverse, drive, overdrive, or low gear I don't feel the transmission engage at all and stepping on the gas just revs the engine and I don't move at all. I'm assuming it's a transmission issue. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be specifically?

1986 Bronco II
2.9L V6
A4LD tranny
Mud Addict

Re: transmission trouble

Post by Mud Addict »

nrandell wrote:I was just driving along one day and all of a sudden my engine revs up high and I start coasting to a stop, like when a manual transmission pops out of gear. If I try to shift to reverse, drive, overdrive, or low gear I don't feel the transmission engage at all and stepping on the gas just revs the engine and I don't move at all. I'm assuming it's a transmission issue. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be specifically?

1986 Bronco II
2.9L V6
A4LD tranny - there is the problem
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

look for a 5spd
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

yea my a4ld sucks too had to put mine on the road and the overdrive doesn't work
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
nrandell

Post by nrandell »

the weird thing is that it didn't give my any trouble before this. It wasn't slipping, or whining or anything.
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

Neither did mine till it puked its guts all over the road. I now have a 5-speed in it :cool:
jefe

Post by jefe »

not on my bronco, but this happened to another car of mine....very similar description.....and it was the transmission and was going to require a new or rebuilt one.....I got rid of the car instead.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Have you at least checked the fluid level? No fluid No go.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast