87 2.9 BII Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jefe

87 2.9 BII Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Post by jefe »

Hey guys...I figured this has had to come up before but I did a search and can't find the answer yet.

I'm trying to find replacement exhaust manifold bolts since the majority of them broke when I removed the manifolds.

I hear the dealerships charge an arm and a leg for a set...so hoping someone has found an alternative somewhere else.

Thanks.
Nobody

Re: 87 2.9 BII Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Post by Nobody »

I ran into the same problem when I was putting the 5.0L in my EB. I ended up cruising the pull-a-part looking for exhaust manifold bolts in really good condition.....those oil soaked manifolds were usually a sure thing. :redneck:
jefe

Post by jefe »

I went to one of those places local but they didn't have any broncos....

Well, let me ask this. Can anyone check to see if they have any double sided studs used to attach the exhaust manifolds?

Most of my bolts broke and I had to get a shop drill out the rest but I was able to keep a couple of the bolts and studs for reference. I had 2 types. Regular bolt and some two sided studs. And I just don't know if this is factory or if the past owner broke some off and replaced it with these....because I can't find any reason why a two sided stud would be necessary.

I called Ford for replacement bolts...but what I was told makes no sense. From my count, there are 12 bolts needed to secure the manifolds to the heads (6 per side). The Ford guy tells me there are 13 total. 10 that are 3/8"x1.25"L. ($7.50 each) and then 3 that are 3/8"x2.42"L ($19 each)....for a grand total of about $132. Well, forget that.

Those measurements make no sense anyways. 1.25" in length for 10 of the bolts. I know that's not right.

I take the 2 types I had pulled out to a local Fasteners shop. The bolts got measured at M8x75mm. The 2 sided studs were measured at M8x45mm/M6x15mm.

The M8x75mm will work but there has to be another size right because some of the holes are much shorter in length?

Was hoping someone could check their engine bay and tell me what they see...or at least tell me if there are 2 sided studs being used....maybe used to attach a heat shield?

I'm also wondering if there are heat shields for both the left and right exhaust manifolds. I only have one for the right passenger side. Didn't know if I was missing one for the left side.

Thanks guys.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I do believe the studs are for a heat shield, dipstick, etc. Go down to Chula Vista, those yards should be full of broncos. The studs don't have to come from broncos, they are used in all sorts of vehicles.
jefe

Post by jefe »

Cool. Thanks for the info.

What about heat shields? You got one for left and right sides?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I haven't had a Bronco II for several years now. Hopefully one of the other members can post a pic for you.
CarsonChris

Post by CarsonChris »

Just pulled manifold bolts and the front two on my driver side were double sided. One top, one bottom. Wasn't that way on my last 2.9. these came off a reman engine.
jefe

Post by jefe »

Hmmm...yea, that's odd because I think that's exactly the same as mine was. Were yours attached to anything...like a heatshield or something? I didn't have a heat shield for my drivers side so I can't figure out the purpose for the double sided ones...
drofman

Post by drofman »

jefe, puter been broke for awhile. you only need one stud bolt for the dipstick. heatshields were for the 2.8
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

i dont think either one of mine came with heat sheilds
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
drofman

Post by drofman »

you don't need a stud for the dipstick i'm bad. there is a studbolt that always twists and most of the time you break the dipstick bracket when you remove it to remove the drivers side manifold. no stud bolts on the 2.9
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

the 2.9 had a shroud around the passenger manifold and a duct drew air from there to the air filter box to suck warm air in the winter. these rusted off really fast so most b2s dont have them anymore. the studs held that on. when i replaced mine i just drilled out the bolts. i tried to tap new threads but it was a lost cause so i just put new 3/8 bolts and nuts on the back of the flanges that come out of the block. sounds sketchy i know but it was like 7 years ago and no problems. if i remember you still need one stud because something grounds there and you cant move it cause it messes up something with the ignition. i think it senses cylinders firing or something. you could always put the ring terminal under the bolt i guess.
drofman

Post by drofman »

The 2.9 did not have a shroud the 2.8 did for the carb warm air. 2.9 fuel inject don't need no stinking warm air
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

drofman wrote:The 2.9 did not have a shroud the 2.8 did for the carb warm air. 2.9 fuel inject don't need no stinking warm air
i have the 2.9 and i swear it had one of these. on the side of the airbox there was a hole with a temp controlled flapper. some kind of pressurized piston that would expand when warm and close the flapper or contract when cold to open the flapper. ive long sense pitched the shroud and the hose that connected it but i can put up pics of the airbox if you want. I know crazy people say "im not crazy" but im not crazy.