tranny again!!!!!!!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Trigger_2001

tranny again!!!!!!!

Post by Trigger_2001 »

why is it that when i went to put my 88 b2 in first, it acted like you were towing a house?? i locked in 4x4 and finally pulled it out of whatever. ot was sitting in the alley. And what is my grinding sound?? i hear it when the clutch is let out in neutral, and sometimes driving it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bronc Rider (is only 15!!)
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

I cant really say why it was hard to get it going but the grinding sound says bearings to me. Mine is doing the same thing...but with 155K on it...and it was going before I put the 4liter in 5k ago.

want to take bets on who's will last longer?

Iain
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

any idea as to what bearing???? my odometer doesn't have the 100xxx mark on it. I could have 52xxx or 352xxx. I don't know. I'll last tho.
HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

ok lets think about it:

Piolot bearing: only when clutch is pushed in or truck rolling in grear with clutch pushed in and engine off. The piolot bearing supports the input shaft in the flywheel, best check is to just put the truck in first gear with the clutch pushed in and engine idleing (truck not moving) and you will hear a screachy noise (i have replaced one of those).

Throwout bearing: always engaged but only under preasure when clutch is pushed in, similar symptoms to piolot bearing but would make more of a grind/rumble noise.

Input/main bearings: engaged when clutch is NOT pushed OR if the clutch is pushed in but the truck is in gear and moving. If the clutch is NOT pushed this is ALWAYS moving if the engine is running. Would make grind/low rumble noise.

Output/main bearings: Only engaged when the truck is moving, wether in gear or not, clutch in or out, if the truck is moving, so is the output bearing. Would make grind/low rumble noise.

For my truck, I KNOW it is either my input bearing and/or main bearings are bad because the tranny makes noise when in neutral with engine idleing with clutch NOT pushed. My truck also makes noise when in neutral but coasting with the clutch in OR out, so that says main bearings and/or output bearing. ALSO, I have noticed increased slop in my drive-train wich also says that input and/or output bearings are bad, and that the tranny is worn in general. I know that my piolot and throwout bearings are good because there is NO noise with tranny in neutral (or any gear) with clutch pushed in while the truck is parked.

Hope that helped clear this up for some of you.

My tranny is on its way out. When my GF says, "What is that noise?" I tell her, "that is my tranny telling us that it is GOING to die one of these days so BE READY."

I am counting on it to start making VERY loud squeeling noises, or start popping out of gears first.

Iain

85 Longbed 4x4
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Iaiaiain pretty much spelled it out. I would like to add, that if the noise goes away while driving in 4th gear, you're looking at bearings, and probably a full rebuild. My best advice is to swap in a used tranny, as a rebuild will likely cost as much as a new truck.

Iain I have a tranny if you're interested.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

THAT is what I wanted to hear!!!

go ahead and shoot me an email with year/miles/blahblahblah

It might take me a while to reply because of the holidays and stuff (probably not though)

It better not be a 4 speed :puke:

:redneck:
Iain

85 Longbed 4x4
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

got another one laying around?? what all goes into replacing the main inputshaft bearing???
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'm not sure, but I think it requires a complete teardown, which isn't easy at all. Even if it were easy, I can all but guarantee that the rest of the tranny isn't far behind.

My best advice is to fill it with some synthetic gear oil, and run it till it dies, and start searching for a used tranny.
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

Nobody wrote:My best advice is to fill it with some synthetic gear oil, and run it till it dies, and start searching for a used tranny.
that cracks me up!!

that is EXACTLY what I did about 3 weeks ago.

hahaha

Iain

85 Longbed 4x4