starter is missing the flywheel

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bronco2tank

starter is missing the flywheel

Post by bronco2tank »

I have a 1987 bronco 2. It has a 2.9 in it. It makes a horrible metal on metal hit and slip noise. So obviously I thought it was the flywheel. I looked at the teeth on the bendex and the flywheel and neither are terribly bad. Occasionally if I try to bump it I can hear it missing all together. I looked at getting a different starter, but they are all the same on all years. What am I missing? This is only a 2 bolt starter, so how could it possibly be missing altogether? Should I be looking at getting a Mazda starter? Thanks.
fnlucky

Re: starter is missing the flywheel

Post by fnlucky »

almost the same thing happened to mine however mine would sometimes grab make a loud CLANG noise then a grinding and then let go i have a post on here thats says "flywheel pics need help" go look cause at the first glance the flywheel looked okay however it was the problem after changing the flywheel it worked fine well that issue at least...
six shooter

Post by six shooter »

I am having the same problems how hard is it to change the flywheel out and does it get pretty pricy.THANKS
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

That's 2 questions there will be an extra charge for two questions.

How hard is it? Hm mm it is not something I like to do on a regular basis. Ya gotta separate the trans and engine. Some people have been able to do it by blocking up the trans and transfer case then pull the bolts and cross member and slide the trans back then unbolt the flywheel and replace the stuff in the reverse order and your done.

I don't know what a regular shop would charge you but I would bet it would be at least 4 hrs Labor. A hunnert and twenty five and hr and you can chew right through several bags of cash just getting started.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
drofman

Post by drofman »

tex, you might tell them that it's easier if they have a flexplate. they didn't say if it's manual or auto.
drofman

Post by drofman »

but i guess a ring gear a flywheel and a flexplate a flexplate. nevermind
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

drofman,

Your right a automatic flex plate is easier than a flywheel to change but not that much easier.
However, neither is my favorite thing.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast