Swede with ignition/starter problem

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bobrolf

Swede with ignition/starter problem

Post by Bobrolf »

I'm going to start off with apologizing for my poor english... I'm from sweden and we blond chicks ar'nt very articulated ;)

So... Someone in sweden saw the potential of my bronco and shipt it over from the states in the early 90s. And now I got my hands on it. :D It's a Bronco XLT, 1990, 2.9...

My problem is this... When the engine is cold it takes 4-5 tryes before it starts, the starter does'nt fire it just "klicks" or rather "plicks" (a dull klicking sound). After a few tries it starts right up like nothing ever was wrong, when it runs it runs good. At first i thougt it might be the flywheel or starter but the problem just occurs when the engine is cold. Once it's warm there's no problem starting, it fires up one the first try.

The previous owner told me about the problem but he said that the problem is some databox (?) that needs to "warm up" before starting... I'm not quite buying that explanation, i think that the old geezer always blames "new" technology for all errors on a car :rolleyes2:

WTF could be the problem and where should I start to poke???

/ Tomas
Mud Addict

Re: Swede with ignition/starter problem

Post by Mud Addict »

Check the starter solenoid on the passenger fenderwell near the battery :beer:
Bobrolf

Post by Bobrolf »

uppdate: I read a something intresting about the fulepump on another site.... When the car sitts for a while the pressure in the fulesystem goes down, and if the fulepump allows fule to drain back past the valve (anti-drainback valve??) it gets very hard to start. A tip was to prime the system by tapping the gas pedal a few times... i tried this on my way home from work (the car hade been sitting for 12 hours) and the fu**er started on the first try. :D

If the fulepump is the problem how do I know which one it is?? I belive there are two.... (?) :wtf:

of topic: I got a hissing sound from the glove compartment (close to the firewall) witch follows the engins rpm... I don't belive in ghosts so what can it be?
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

The whistling sound might be a vaccum hose for the heater system :hmmm: Maybe. Am pretty sure that '90's have 2 fuel pumps, but dunno for sure.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Mud Addict wrote: Am pretty sure that '90's have 2 fuel pumps, but dunno for sure.
one pump. take some starting fluid,wd-40 ect ans spray around the vac. lines,the engine rpm's change,theres ya leak
drofman

Post by drofman »

I went and looked at my 89 parts b2 and the heater controls are cables so I would think that the 90 are the same. I did have a Mustang that the heater core itself made a noise and if you take vise grips and pinch a heater hose and the noise goes away, thats it. Daves right only one pump on 90's. Have you changed your fuel filter? Check fuel pressure? You said clicking. Like Addict said that sounds like a solenoid or battery. But could be a dirty connection.
Bobrolf

Post by Bobrolf »

drofman wrote:Have you changed your fuel filter? Check fuel pressure? You said clicking. Like Addict said that sounds like a solenoid or battery. But could be a dirty connection.
I'm going to change the fulefilter, oil and oilfilter soon, hav'nt got round to check the pressure... My plan is to clean up in the engine compartment, check all connections and change bad wires or clam the shit out of them.

When i I turn the key to the "first step" I can hear the pump working, turing the key to the next step (where the engine is suppose to start) I only get a dull sound... Like when you got a weak battery that has'nt got the power to turn the starter around. But it dos'nt sound like i'm draining the battery when i'm trying... a coupel of tries and then it starts right up. And if I tap the gaspedal before I try to start it usally starts on the first or second try.

more questions... :tongue2:
I kinda need a new gearbox... like I said, got the 2.9 v6 with the mazda M5OD transmission. Is there some other boxes that match the 2.9 engine and that is not to week? I got a scraping sound on the second gear when i'm "pusching the engine/gearbox", hope you know what i mean :confused: