Bronco 2 axle swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Mr G

Bronco 2 axle swap

Post by Mr G »

Hello everyone please excuse me I am a newbie here. I did a search first but was unable to find the information. I am a new owner of 2 1984 Bronco II. I have axles out of a 1971 Bronco and want to put them under the Bronco II.

Has this been done, and are there any links to information on this?

Also, are the explorer axles TTB or solid?

Thanks again.
Ranger Dave

Re: Bronco 2 axle swap

Post by Ranger Dave »

first,welcome
the early bronco axels are almost a bolt in. the xpolrer front is a bolt in,the rear axel you have to move the spring pads to the top, and add shock mounts
04sd

Post by 04sd »

Unless you have your heart set on a solid axle why would you want to swap in the '71 axles. The front is a dana 30 with drum brakes. Explorer axles are really a better upgrade.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Early Bronco Dana 44 axle: They came with a Dana 44 starting in 1971, but the Dana 30 can also be found in that year.

he allready has the axels, so why go buy some more. work with what ya have.

http://rangerdave.freeforums.org/post1910.html#p1910

and the weak link in the D35.
Mr G

Post by Mr G »

So I did some checking my solid axle is a dana 30 (that's always my luck) however I am always trading stuff and am sure I can find a 35 TTB. Rumor has it the TTB are weak. But I hate rumors they are usually wrong.

I do moderate wheeling with some rock crawling. I did signal peak and Fordyce (California) last summer and that is about as tough as I would ever go with the B2. I hope someone on here knows these trails and can give me feedback.

However what other mods should I anticipate to make a B2 into a nice trail rid?

Thanks again.
leadchunker

Post by leadchunker »

Just thought I would jump in on this older post to prevent duplicating efforts. I have an 84 BII, I have the 4 spd manual tranny rebuilt, the t-case rebuilt, and the 2.8 rebuilt. I am in the process of getting the duraspark conversion and a Holley 350 2 bbl carb. I decided to change the axles to Explorer 8.8 rear and a D35 front, much easier to find lockers and gears for. I bought a Ford 8.8 open diff. 3.73 out of a 97 Explorer today for $75.00, I plan on installing an Aussie Locker soon. I am looking for a D35 front out of a 94 Explorer 3.73. I have seen two different forums that conflict in the Master Cylinder for the rear disc brakes. Can I use my existing Master Cylinder and other than mounting the spring perches to the top of the axle, what else is involved in the swap. Any help or suggested tech articles would be great. I should have went with the 302 but I didn't want to change axles, lol. I guess I will be prepared for the future.