88 b2 2.9fi manual starts easily, then konks

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
radarcontact

88 b2 2.9fi manual starts easily, then konks

Post by radarcontact »

It starts up great, then konks out and won't start again. Period. Hour later, same scenario.
Tried using starter fluid, carb cleaner...start with a vengence, then knoks.

It was running great, not a problem. Then let it sit for about 5 weeks without ever putting the key in the ignition. Then this problem (since pre-Thanksgiving).

I am barely a mechanic, if even that. But I assume it's a fuel delivery problem. During the summer when I first decided to tune it up, I replaced all the usual tune-up items. Plugs, wires, fuel filter at the frame rail, fuel relay, air cleaner, flush the coolant, changed oil and filter, installed set of guages with mech oil pressure, etc. etc.

I have a Chilton's, but it thinks I already have a clue! lol
tekatlarge

Re: 88 b2 2.9fi manual starts easily, then konks

Post by tekatlarge »

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem. You need to check the fuel pressure at the rail on the schrader valve.

Do you hear the fuel pump running when the key is switched on? you should hear the pump running.

Start with the basic steps first. Fuel pressure. If you have fuel pressure and it won't start yet starts on starting fluid then you may have a injector problem. if you don't have enough or any fuel pressure then start at the supply the fuel pump. Don't forget the fuel filter it could be clogged.

Check those basic things and you should be on your way to finding the problem
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
radarcontact

Post by radarcontact »

In the key position right before engaging the starter, I do hear a "whirl" for a second or two, as I always have. I think that's the fuel pump pressuring up (?).
How do I check the fuel pressure?
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

On the right side of the intake facing it from the front there is a fuel pressure regulator bolted to the fuel rail near the back of the engine. Right in front of it, there is a valve that looks like a tire valve. That is where you check the fuel pressure. Autozone, and Schucks have testers you can use for a nominal deposit. They will have instructions in them on how to use the tester, and what kind of pressure you should have.