grinding sound when taking off from a stop

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
oneway

grinding sound when taking off from a stop

Post by oneway »

happens not all the time.

Can be very loud inside the truck, especially if I take off fast or slow and sounds more harsh if I am starting from a stop going up an extreme incline....like I have to stop in on a hill in traffic at a stop light. Definitely coming from the rear.

it only lasts a few seconds until I get rolling and never hear it going down hill from a stop. It happens if I take off and go around turns too...like I'f I am making a right or left from a stop light.

do not hear it while stopping at any time.

I'm either thinking wheel bearrings or the drums are sticking some how ....any ideas? I'm hoping it's the shocks has I plan on replaces those in the next couple weeks....and the leaf springs.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
dgl6y6

Re: grinding sound when taking off from a stop

Post by dgl6y6 »

unfortunately i think i had the same problem you described. it turned out that the output shaft on the transfer case was broken. not the spline shaft just the threaded part that keeps the flange connector from falling out. the CV type drive shaft pushes apart and just barely keeps it from falling out. i have a manual tranny though so im not sure if the transfer case is the same. check your drive shaft and rear axle suspension mounts. if those are bad they can cause the drive shaft to kink and snap the TC output shaft. i actually had the leaf spring front mount break and it was sliding forwards when i accelerated causing the rear axle to turn sideways which broke my drive shaft and transfer case. easy to check if this is your problem, try to compress your driveshaft together and see if the flange on the transfer case starts to slide out. or jack up the back and spin the driveshaft manually and listen for broken parts rolling around inside.
oneway

Post by oneway »

thanks for the info. I like the rear axle suspension mounts idea....only reason being is that the sound is MUCH more harsh sounding when starting from a stop on an incline....my thought is that this puts extra pressure on those parts you mentioned.

I'm not 100% positive on the location of the parts you mentioned, but I'll give it a look. Thanks!
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Mine has a bad sound when starting from a stop. It's the front joint on the rear driveshaft. The seal had been torn off, and all of the grease hes been thrown out, and the joint is bad. Get underneath, and have a look at the boots.
oneway

Post by oneway »

you are spot on good sir. I got under there and checked out the rubber boot on the shaft and sure enough...has a damn hole/tear in it and there is what appears to be grease thrown on the undercarriage. :wtf: :rolleyes: