Hmmm Which locker?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
OCD4B2

Hmmm Which locker?

Post by OCD4B2 »

I'm looking at getting a locker for my ford 9" and i've been looking around a lot. Detroit lockers r just too much($), and a full spool is just totally to much. I wanted to know what u guys think on a locker for the carrier essembly, like an e-z locker etc. Do u think they will work for soemone like me? Will they give me the added traction? I'm looking in the $200-$300 range and not much higher. thanx i will appreciate your input :D
230,000 miles and she still turns heads
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

You might wanna look at a LockRight. They are relatively cheap and pretty tough. they are in the $180- $250 range. They work pretty good as long as you aren't gonna run monster tires. I use one in my D44 with 37" Boggers and have had no problems so far.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I would love to set up an ARB in mine but I tink I am going to settle for a welded rear for the time being.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

I'm using a mini-spool I got on e-bay. Cost me 7 bucks a piece (bought 3 of em). I do have the big bearing 31 spline axle shafts so I'm not too worried. Better count yours :idea: .
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

This is one of those what if questions. It depends on what you are going to use the truck for. What size tires, driving style, and engine and axle size.

So is it going to be driven on the street?

What size engine are you going to run?

What size tires are you going to run?

Whats your driving style? Do you like to catch air?

A lunch box locker is good up to 33" tall tires. Bigger than that and you will run into warranty problems. They do "act" just like a Detriot though. Jegs catalog has Lock Rights listed in my new catalog for the 9" at $189.99
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Matt - did you weld your front diff or just the rear? How long did you drive it welded?. I'm thinking about welding my front, but not sure if that works for a DD
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

plowboy wrote:Matt - did you weld your front diff or just the rear? How long did you drive it welded?. I'm thinking about welding my front, but not sure if that works for a DD
I have seen some people weld the front diff and I have never agreed with it. The rear seems to survive longer when welded, but you still need to check the condition of the weld occassionally(mine cracked in my 7.5 TWICE). Luckily. I caught the glitch in time to prevent further damage. Checking the weld in a 9" is more time-consuming since there is no access cover.
b2binbad: If you are running the mini-spool....I suggest that you install the hardened cross pin(if you haven't already). Since the mini-spool eliminates 1 of the 2 pins...you need to make sure that that 1 is a good one. I have seen the stock cross-pin break in these appllications.
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

b2binbad: If you are running the mini-spool....I suggest that you install the hardened cross pin(if you haven't already). Since the mini-spool eliminates 1 of the 2 pins...you need to make sure that that 1 is a good one. I have seen the stock cross-pin break in these appllications.
Nope sure haven't, good looking out.
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

302, AOD, probably 37" tires, like to jump and like to off road. I dont want a minny spool, then my tires wont disengage off of turns yea know, I'll end up wearing my nobbie down and i will be s.o.l.
230,000 miles and she still turns heads
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

I would say go with a Detroit Locker then. Cost more $$'s but it will hold up much better than a lunch box loker. Mad Max runs DL's front and rear. That was the last thing I worried about when I used to wheel it.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Happy_Jack wrote:

A lunch box locker is good up to 33" tall tires. Bigger than that and you will run into warranty problems. They do "act" just like a Detriot though. Jegs catalog has Lock Rights listed in my new catalog for the 9" at $189.99
Since they don't list those for any where near that on their site, what do they show for one for a Dana 44, part number too, please?
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Jeg's Catalog Oct/Nov/Dec 04 page 204-X part # 754-1810 Ford 9" (28 & 31 spline) $189.99. Same catalog/page part # 754-2410 Dana Spicer 44 (30 spline) $209.99.

The Dana 44 is up in price from the spring. I purchased one for my FS Bronco and paid $192.00 for it.