will it hurt my gas mileage to cut off the cat ?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ledfordwc

will it hurt my gas mileage to cut off the cat ?

Post by ledfordwc »

i've got an 89 b2 with the 2.9 and i cut the rear cat a couple of years ago it still has the front one their were two on it one right behind the other one, would it cause any problems to get rid of the front one or just gut it as far as computer problems or gas mileage ?
89 bronco II stock almost 300,000 miles 4th motor gotta love those 2.9s
83 S10 blazer 383 stroker (almost show truck)
tekatlarge

Re: will it hurt my gas mileage to cut off the cat ?

Post by tekatlarge »

Leave the cat ALONE. First off removing a cat converter and not replacing it with another cat is against the LAW! I often wonder why people feel the law does not apply to them.

You Cat converter is part of an exhaust system that was designed to work together to give you the best balance of power economy and clean air. If a cat becomes clogged it is usually because of 1. Too much fuel in the engine not burning and coating the converter with soot and carbon. 2. Running a leaded fuel. 3. Pouring all kinds of crap in the tank or down the intake to "Clean your fuel injectors".

So as a rule do not remove your cat unless you plan to replace it with another one like a high flow cat!!

One more thing, I can't remember if there is a second oxygen sensor on the exhaust between the cats or not. some models had 2. If is has 2 you would be looking at possible computer problems.

One last comment from me. I used to think tear all that emissions junk out and get rid of it. I found out that after learning about Fuel Injection and modern engine systems all the parts work together like a team. I also have leaned over the years that air fit to breathe is a hell of a lot more important to me than a tenth of a horsepower under the hood!!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast