transmission swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bowman

transmission swap

Post by bowman »

Just stumbled onto this site and was wondering if someone could help me out. I swapped out an auto trans. for a manual in my 87 BII .Now it won't start and I have 2 plugs with nowhere to plug them in . Do they have to be jumped together some how . One is a 5 wire plug and the other is 2. They went into the auto. Thanx, Jeff
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 2 wire plug is the neutral safety switch. I don't have my wiring diagram handy. If you don't bypass that you can't start it. I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my ranger and eventually my BII.
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
bowman

Transmission swap

Post by bowman »

Thanx, I'll try that , all i've tried is jumping the 5 wire plug on advice . On another note i found that the front drive shafts are different. should i just have the one i have cut down to fit (I can't find one locally ) or does anyone have one that will work that they would be willing to let go of ?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The nuetral saftey circuit, backup lights, and the 4wd dash light run through those plugs. You just need to jump the nuetral safety circuit. The schematic in a chiltons book will tell you which colors the wires are, I forget, but red with a blue line comes to mind.

As for the driveline, I have a couple. What length is your current one, center of u-joint to center or u-joint?
bowman

Post by bowman »

I'll check the length tonight and let you know. (at work now) Thanx,Jeff