Throttle and Starting issues

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
greenmachine89

Throttle and Starting issues

Post by greenmachine89 »

89 Bronco II 5 speed
First off when I start in the morning it revs up to 1200 then stutters, coughs and dies. When I try starting it again it fires right up. As for the throttle when applied it hesitates for a second. Any help would be great!
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
bronco_lou

Re: Throttle and Starting issues

Post by bronco_lou »

Pull the codes from the computer.
Predator130

Post by Predator130 »

Mine is doing exactly the same thing, when you crank it cold it runs fine for 5-10 minutes, then when you barely get past the idle mark it stumbles all over itself. If you gas it or are going down the road with the pedal in it making it accelerate it runs fine. If you maintain what you are doing it starts stumbling again. I haven't ran the codes but I will tomorrow. Going to replace a fuel filter tonight and see what that does. But it seems hard for me to imagine the fuel filter is the culprit when I can gun it and run fine. Seems more like an idle sensor of some kind. Not trying to Hijack the thread just noticed similar issues and thought we could bounce ideas off each other.

Thanks
greenmachine89

Post by greenmachine89 »

Changed out the fuel filter, changed over to the larger throttle body from an 86 (wanted to do that for awhile now), changed the air flow sensor. I will try to pull the codes sometime today after work or tmrw. I did notice the throttle being a bit more responsive after changing the tb, but it still seems to lack the balls to get up and go. Now I know these B2s don't have much for power anyway but they have never seemed this wimpy.
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
bronco_lou

Post by bronco_lou »

greenmachine89 wrote:Changed out the fuel filter, changed over to the larger throttle body from an 86 (wanted to do that for awhile now), changed the air flow sensor. I will try to pull the codes sometime today after work or tmrw. I did notice the throttle being a bit more responsive after changing the tb, but it still seems to lack the balls to get up and go. Now I know these B2s don't have much for power anyway but they have never seemed this wimpy.
My 88 2.9 had plenty of balls, if it won't get up and go you have a problem somewhere.
Louis
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

How about a blocked Cat?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

greenmachine89 wrote:changed the air flow sensor.

they dont have that sensor