tachometer

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
303lithgow

tachometer

Post by 303lithgow »

I have a plain BII with the standard insturment cluster and want to find a cluster with the built-in tach. Would it fit right in and work? My guess is the wiring is all there as it would be cheaper to built one wiring harness for all applications.

Has anyone ever added a factory tach?
zookeyknee

Re: tachometer

Post by zookeyknee »

Went to my haynes ranger&Bll repair manual and checked guage wiring schematics looked at every model year couldnt find any tach wiring circuits. Even checked to see if it was hiding in other circuit systems,again no luck.But it seems the instrument voltage regulator runs most other guages methinks the tach output would be in all harnesses made like you said simplicity which Ford takes to the nth degree.Let us know if so Thanx
drofman

Post by drofman »

You can install a tach dash into your ride, It's all in the printed curcuit ribbon on the instrument cluster
Attachments
P5290114.JPG
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

drofman wrote:You can install a tach dash into your ride, It's all in the printed curcuit ribbon on the instrument cluster
Have you known anyone to do this?

In comparing the old cluster with one with the tach cluster I notice some of the wiring doesn't match up. The oil pressure, temperature, gas guage, and amp guage wiring are differant and the wiring harness is differant. I can see that the wires would need to be moved. Not easy but possible. The real question is would the tach work or would I need other items.
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

zookeyknee wrote:Went to my haynes ranger&Bll repair manual and checked guage wiring schematics looked at every model year couldnt find any tach wiring circuits. Even checked to see if it was hiding in other circuit systems,again no luck.But it seems the instrument voltage regulator runs most other guages methinks the tach output would be in all harnesses made like you said simplicity which Ford takes to the nth degree.Let us know if so Thanx
I can get a used cluster for about $30 so if it doesn't work I'm not out much. I think I might try it.
1970 F250 Camper Special
drofman

Post by drofman »

I've done it on other Ford products, not a BII and it was just a plug in. You may have to change the oil presser sender as it will be a light instead of gauge type. The schematic I included is for a 88. 89 will be different
Attachments
P5300116.JPG
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

drofman wrote:I've done it on other Ford products, not a BII and it was just a plug in. You may have to change the oil presser sender as it will be a light instead of gauge type. The schematic I included is for a 88. 89 will be different
Thanks, I've never understood idiot lights. When they come on its after the engine is ruined. If I ad the factury tach with the lights I will replace the oil and amp lights with aftermarket gauges. I think it will make the dash look nicer that way instead of keeping the stock non-tach cluster and adding an aftermarket tach. Besides the voltage regulator for the cluster is malfunctioning and I need to replace the cluster anyway.

thanks big-time
1970 F250 Camper Special
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

The instrument panel with the tach will not work with the non-tach wiring. The right-side wiring works but the left-side is totally differant. I followed the wiring and its not much to change but it does need to be changed. I looked at the local boneyard and could easily see as it was stripped out and showed where the wires went.
1970 F250 Camper Special
drofman

Post by drofman »

I just took out my Cluster out to change to LED lights (works bitch’n) Wished I took a picture of the back of my Cluster but if you look at the picture below #3 (non-tach) that’s the side of the Tach. If the Tach side connector loom wiring has wires in the void (right side of picture connector with only 5 connections to the circuit board ribbon) then it should work. If the loom doesn’t, then I’m wrong and wouldn’t be the first time I have been. On another note, the LED lights really brighten up the dash lights for these almost 50 year old eyes. I got them in blue and they look cool. I got them from http://www.superbrightleds.com and the part # is WLED-X6 and you’ll need 3 for non-tach and 4 for tach. Again, sorry if I misled anyone if I was wrong.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Damn, I can't post the pic cause it .bmp if someone can tell me how to I'll change it to jped
drofman

Post by drofman »

got it, smater then I thought I was
Attachments
dash.jpg
drofman

Post by drofman »

smarter (maybe not)
drofman

Post by drofman »

I know it's off subjust but if you put in the LED's you have to take out the green covers inside the Cluster. That means taking out the gauges and be careful with the needles cause they're brittle. Found out the hard way and had to make a new one.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

drofman wrote:I just took out my Cluster out to change to LED lights (works bitch’n) Wished I took a picture of the back of my Cluster but if you look at the picture below #3 (non-tach) that’s the side of the Tach. If the Tach side connector loom wiring has wires in the void (right side of picture connector with only 5 connections to the circuit board ribbon) then it should work. If the loom doesn’t, then I’m wrong and wouldn’t be the first time I have been. On another note, the LED lights really brighten up the dash lights for these almost 50 year old eyes. I got them in blue and they look cool. I got them from http://www.superbrightleds.com and the part # is WLED-X6 and you’ll need 3 for non-tach and 4 for tach. Again, sorry if I misled anyone if I was wrong.
The plastic connector on the wire is differant and prevents them from connecting with non-compatable clusters.
1970 F250 Camper Special