NEED HELP WITH 88 BRONCO II, PLEASE HELP!!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
damon

NEED HELP WITH 88 BRONCO II, PLEASE HELP!!

Post by damon »

I GIT AN 88 BRONCO 4 FREE, BECAUSE MY CAR BROKE DOWN 2 YEARS AGO, RIGHT AFTER MY DAD DIED. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH PROBLEMS TO WRITE A COUNTRY SONG. MAJOR LOSS OF POWER GOING UP ANY INCLINE, I KNOW THE FIRING ORDER IS CORRECT, DROPPED THE TANK AND REPLACED THE SOCK FILTER, NEW GAS FILTER, INJECTORS! I REALLY NEED A CAR, ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO GO FROM HERE? :confused:
Erronh12

Re: NEED HELP WITH 88 BRONCO II, PLEASE HELP!!

Post by Erronh12 »

check fuel pressure should be around 35-45 pounds
damon

Post by damon »

update, i know the firing order is correct and firing on all 6 cylinders, been through the whole fuel system, from the fuel pump in tank to the next canister in line, then up to the fuel filters and new injectors, pulled the fuel regulator appears to be fine, runs decent until it warms up then total loss of power 15 mph, while floored. any advice of what it could be? i know its getting proper spark, and fuel. thanx
KRE

Post by KRE »

Getting mad or upset and asking the same question in 3 or more posts will not correct anything. A good mech will save you time, money, and keep your blood pressure down. If your trying to save money, and learn at the same time thats great.

If it's getting correct spark, fuel, air, and it's in time it will run,... period.
Also just looking at the fuel reg. is worthless. Attach a pressure gauge with a long hose and drive it down the road. Any pressure 30psi and greater is not a fuel delivery issue to the injectors.

Attach a manifold Vac gauge to the upper intake down stream of the throttle body, and tell me what it is at idle. Then at 2000rpm setting still. Recheck the manifold vac with the engine hot at idle then again at 2000 rpm.

Then drive it and record your reading at different speeds and keep track of where your throttle is, ie 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 or wide open.

Does the engine start easy, or hard? Are you sure the vac hose to the map sender is good. What have you checked on the TFI and where is base timing? Have you check the TPS or other refference senders with a meter, if so what were the readings cold then hot?

If your info is incorrect my/our answers will be also, do not make up readings. If you have not checked something or don't know how to say so, thats the only way I can help you from a key board.

Just remember this in your life, before you can repair or correct and issue properly and timely, you first have to understand how it operates. Again wrong input on your part will gleen wrong output on our part.

My best guess on your info so far is either TFI, or Exhaust.
forman621

Post by forman621 »

So did you replace the pump in the tank or did you just replace the sock filter. cause if you took it out should have tested the pump in the bench to see if it pumps with power and ground.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the first part I would check would be the ignition modual on the side of the distributor. Auto zone can check it for you for free. it is on the side of the distributor. That and while you oare there have them pull codes for you. that is a free service too. make sure they test the modual several times to make sure it is warm. sometimes they only fail when warm.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
damon

Post by damon »

it starts very easy, its in time, but when i got it the muffler had blown up but it still has good air flow, im a decent mechanic, but when it comes to electrical i dont have the equipment, sorry for posting so many times, but no one would answer me, thanx to all who responded i appreciate the help, this thing has got me down, cant seem to get a decent running rig, and my wife and i are disabled, so we need the rig for doctors appointments, and going to the store, and camping would be nice, lol
forman621

Post by forman621 »

Hey i noticed you live in selah WA i do too, maybe i can come over and take a look at it for you and see if i can find the problem.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the ign. mod has nothing to do with base timing. it is the electronic control for the distributor. when they go bad it will do something similar to what you are saying and it is a known problem area with these motors.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
damon

Post by damon »

changed muffler and converter got good air flow now, changed TPS, and IAC sensor, changed fuel regulator, swapped injectors, been through whole fuel system, new filters, need fuel pressure gauge. timing was good, all cylinders firing, runs rough and loss of power going up hill and after warming up ecspecially!! havent changed MAP sensor yet but plan on it asap.
damon

Post by damon »

tomorrow going to have auto zone check the ignition module (tfi) and try to find a used MAP sensor!! will update, thanx to all 4 the help this far!
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Engine Temperature sensor. Not the one that is used for the gauge but the computer engine temp sensor. It should be near the water outlet! If the computer doesn't sense the change in engine temp it goes in to limp mode basically it won't adjust the air fuel ratio properly.
(Damon I was getting the info for you and fell asleep. I awoke and forgot what the hell I had been doing.. Old age on my part)
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
damon

Post by damon »

update...replaced water temp sensor, in front of intake, then took the ICM to auto zone and it failed right off the bat, so now im trying to pony up the cash (40$) or find a used one and have it tested at auto zone will update!
damon

Post by damon »

update...got brand new icm (tfi) and ran better till it warmed up then fell on its face again, i have replaced almost every sensor and filter you can, its in time, getting good spark, last thing i can think of is the gas pressure gauge to see if my fuel pump in tank is going bad, had it out looked good but looks doesnt matter! i was told the map sensor couldnt make it run this bad, so thats the only one i have not replaced, once i get the fuel pressure tested if its good IM DONE WITH THE BRONCO and it sucks cause i really like it and need a vehicle and cant afford a mechanic. i can fix cars usually but this must be something electrical, when it starts running like crap the tranny slips when i gas it!!any last ditch ideas?? thanx
forman621

Post by forman621 »

i'll but it off you if you want to sell it