Trouble Starting.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tasteofkaos

Trouble Starting.

Post by tasteofkaos »

I have a 1990 Ford Bronco 2 4x4 xlt. Since I got the Bronco sometimes it has trouble starting. It will turn over but wont fire unless I hold down the gas, being fuel injected I shouldn't have to do that. But it doesn't do it all the time. This has also happened while in an automatic car wash. I don't know if something is getting wet or what. Any ideas? The cruise control also only works half the time so I was wondering if it could be the computer going bad?

Any help would be appreciated. Brandon
aarnwts

Re: Trouble Starting.

Post by aarnwts »

check your fuel lines and your in-tank pump there is a 2 inch hose in there that will fall of if not properly installed. Also check your fuel filter. If its none of that then its prolly your fuel injectors. Sounds like its not getting fuel.
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

My bronco is doing the same thing. I took off my starter to see if that was the problem which its a little chewed up, but I still think its a fuel problem. I'll have to check my fuel system.
oneway

Post by oneway »

do you get the under-carriage wash at the auto-wash? pressurized water being sprayed into or onto something??

low compression? agreed with checking the injectors and filter first though. Try running some fuel injector cleaner like Seafoam or BG K44. Both can be found at any auto store. Goes right in your gas tank, preferrably with a full tank.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

Mine first started when i was mudding (more like driving through small ponds) but its been doing it ever since and that was months ago, i went through a pond basically and it started to miss fire cuz water went everywhere and im assuming got the cap and rotor all wet and then it stalled and then when i tried starting it, it does what it does now, i have to pump the gas and what not to try to get it going again and yes its fuel injected, ill try the sea foam though
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Having to hold down the gas pedal to get it to start sounds like it is flooding. At my workplace we have a Turbo'd Subaru, and we have to hold down the pedal to get it to start.
It had a bad water temp switch for the ECM. It was tricking the computer into thinking it was cold, and would flood the engine. We replaced it, and it runs fine now.
Not sure if it would be the same thing for the BII's.