Radiator fan/viscous clutch

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
joeyy

Radiator fan/viscous clutch

Post by joeyy »

hey there guys, i notice my radiator fan wobbles while the engine is running, so I took it off thinking one of the bolts or something that hold the fan to the clutch came loose or out. I just replaced the fan a couple months ago. But upon further investigation all the bolts were tight. Is was where the big nut thing is that screws onto the main shaft for the engine goes into the viscous clutch is loose? That little rubber ring right there I gently pulled back to look inside of it and it apears their are threads inside on it there? Is there a nut inside the clutch that came off that shaft? is there anyway I can get in there to fix it or do I have to get a whole nother viscous clutch? Also the little spring thing on the very front of it wasnt connected to anything, I included a pic of it as well. Here are some pics of what I found
Attachments
main nut to shaft
main nut to shaft
little rubber ring pulled back to try to reveal the inner threads
little rubber ring pulled back to try to reveal the inner threads
little spring on the front
little spring on the front
zerospartan1987

Re: Radiator fan/viscous clutch

Post by zerospartan1987 »

it sounds like the fan clutch bearings are missing.........repalce the fan clutch, it runs you around 30 bucks at an autozone.......that should fix the problem.
my bronco 2 is a work in progress........
zerospartan1987

Post by zerospartan1987 »

i almost forgot make sure you put the fan blades on the correct way, the idea is to have the flow of air twords the engine thus cooling it down.....
my bronco 2 is a work in progress........
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

Yeah, I just replaced it this past saturday, the bearings were thrown like the ones that were left were popping out, it was only like 32 bucks or something for the new clutch, im just surprised they had them in stock (at advanced auto)