loud clank sound

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
yoshie1976

loud clank sound

Post by yoshie1976 »

I replaced my rear driveshaft last week. It drove fine for 4 or five days, and today as I was pulling away from a stop light there was a loud clank. Next stop light, the same thing happened. Any ideas what might be causing this or where to begin? (My bronco is a manual transmission) Also, this past weekend, I had several instances of what sounded like I was running over rumble strips. I am thinking that it might be the wheel bearings. So, maybe the clanking sound has something more to do with the need for wheel bearings and ball joints in the front end and it's just the timing of it that threw me and made be believe that it had something to do with the drive shaft or rear end.
kolton

Re: loud clank sound

Post by kolton »

check your U-joints.
do you feel it when you start to go foreward/backward from a dead stop?
Shake and Bake
drofman

Post by drofman »

might check your motor mounts and tranny mount. I think kolton was thinking the same thing when you start forewards or back up.
kolton

Post by kolton »

x2 ^

my wheel berings used to come loose all the time. and thats not really one of the sounds i heard. not saying its not possible though.
Shake and Bake