WTF???

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Fubar no. Dent in alittle yes. I am going to heat it up and pound it back smooth.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

What welding rod do you think? I have 6013, 7013, 7014, and one other. I also plan on using kinda high amp setting for good penetration (also heat up the metal up as well).

I do know that if it was that big a bitch to pound off then with it on and a good weld, its not going anywhere.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Well I got the 6" exactly cut off just before it looked like it was going to rain. I will have to wait a couple of days before I can pound it back on the tube and weld it. :D
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Was the original tube turned down at all?

Have you been taking pictures of the process?
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

No it wasnt turned down at all. Pics not really. My wife took some of me grinding but in way too dirty to get my camera out when im by myself. I will take some before its put back together.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Ok I got out today as it was nice and sunny and warm (50's). I got it pounded back on and lined up. I cleaned all the grease off and rust.

Now I just want to make sure that this is just steel not some wierd kind of steel that would take a different rod. I know the cast is steel and not iron. Here are the pics

Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Well using 7014 rod was good until I rushed toward the end and it got ugly. I also want to go over with another layer to build up the weld as much as the stock side. I still havent hammered off the slag as I was paged out on a SWAT callout. Well duty calls.

Oh and Matt, I was wondering if I could blow a hole in the tube, so I messed around with the cut piece and at 225 it went right through it without much problem :D . I also used the cut tube as a guide to how fast/slow to weld up the axle.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

looking good :cool:
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!