Fuel Tank Sending Unit Question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tonymasone

Fuel Tank Sending Unit Question

Post by tonymasone »

I need a new Fuel Tank Sending Unit, I found one on ebay that I think might work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT

In case the ad goes down, it's a Fuel Tank Sending Unit for a 1988 B2, and I was just curious if this would fit my 1989 B2? It's a really good price and I have a bad feeling if I buy one used it'll be rusted to hell like mine is.

thanks as always!
RClem

Re: Fuel Tank Sending Unit Question

Post by RClem »

It will fit the tank hole.
89-90 only have one fuel pump, that is in the tank. 86-87 and most all 88 have 2 pumps, one in the tank, one on the frame rail under the drivers feet.
I don't remember if there are any issues with the sending units having different OHM out put or not. The plug on the are most likely different.
You do know you have to drop the tank to install the new pump/sending unit. That is a half day job or more the first time you do it.
If you have a way to do so, you can cut a hole above the sending unit and use the piece you remove and some sheet metal strips to form an access door for use in the future.Image
I had to change this one out and only had a couple hours to do so, and the tank was 3/4 full of gas. By cutting the hole for access, it only took 15 minutes to change the unit.
tonymasone

Post by tonymasone »

Thanks for the info RClem, I'm with you on cutting the hole, that's already done haha, looks a lot like what you did there, originally I was installing a new connector for the main fuel line because I thought the leak was there, but when I cut a hole similar to yours, I realized the hole was on the stem.

So it looks like now I just need to know if electrically the 88 sending unit will work.

thanks
RClem

Post by RClem »

Sorry, I don't remember when the change was made in the electronics, someone will clear that up soon tho.
On my 86 B2, I have eliminated the pump on the rail and installed one in the tank from a 90 B2.

Ray
tonymasone

Post by tonymasone »

hopefully someone will know
Jr Riggs

Post by Jr Riggs »

OK on my 88BII when my gas gauge gets to about 1/4 tank it just drops was there a prob with the floats or is that the sending units?
RClem

Post by RClem »

I would say that is the sending unit.

Ray