Push button 4x4 not responding

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
virginiakid

Push button 4x4 not responding

Post by virginiakid »

Hi guys. I've got an '88 B2, automatic tranny w/ auto locking hubs/t-case. The 4x4 will not engage. When I push the 4x4 button there is no apparent result, no noise, no change, no lights on the console whatsoever. The fuse for that circuit is not blown.

If the motor is out on the transfer case, will it cause the lights on the console to be inoperable? Any advice on how to proceed with diagnosis here? This is my first experience with the push button type. I got the truck cheap and the engine and tranny are fine.
Dane

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.
OBXFHB

Re: Push button 4x4 not responding

Post by OBXFHB »

check the vacum lines thats where i would start.
virginiakid

Post by virginiakid »

thanks for the input, Mike. Help me here, but I'm not aware of any vacuum lines associated w the transfer case and locking hubs? I see a bunch of wires and a vent hose, but that's it.
Dane

Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

OBXFHB wrote:check the vacum lines thats where i would start.

none
virginiakid

Re: Push button 4x4 not responding (FIXED IT?!)

Post by virginiakid »

GOOD NEWS, I've fixed the problem....

I pulled the console out from the roof placement. By interchanging the little bulbs I was able to see that all bulbs worked...even though the 4x4 switch bulbs would not light up in their sockets.

Next I pulled the shift motor off the transfer case, disassembled and used emory cloth on brushes and rotor. Windings looked fine. No sign of heat. While the motor was off I hotwired it and it spun out okay. So I put it all back together and voila. Started her up and the thing shifts into 4x4 hi and lo, and all lights on the console working properly.

Somehow, I'm not convinced the issue was the motor though. Seems like it must have been in a connection or switch somewhere. And the pulling everything apart and putting it back reestablished the proper connection. Don't know. But its working now. On to the next issue.
Dane

tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The Shift Motor is the typical failure item on the Electric T cases. You are fortunate to have fixed it first try.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Yeah the ford electric 4x4 shifters are the most useless things on earth. On my superduty i converted it from electric shift to manual shift. Your hubs dont have any vacum they run off centrifugal force and if you want manual hubs you just have to pull off your tires and pop on the manual hubs, if i remimber correct.