A4ld tries to go backwards in low gear

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
virginiakid

A4ld tries to go backwards in low gear

Post by virginiakid »

The tranny is apparently gone in my latest B2 acquisition. I gave $200 for it, and it's immaculate except for the tranny. No foward gears work. Reverse still works. But when I manually pull the gear shift all the way down to L1, on the automatic tranny, it apparently feels like backing up! (but with less pull and power than full reverse).

I don't know what originally happened to the tranny. The previous owner did tell me that he flushed the fluid and changed the filter. But that didn't fix the problem.

Is this backwards flow in L1 typical of a tranny that's toast? Or does it suggest something else to somebody? I'd appreciate any insight you pros have. Thanks.
Dane

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.
greenmachine89

Re: A4ld tries to go backwards in low gear

Post by greenmachine89 »

There is a "z" link inside the tranny that you can see right away if you were to drop the pan the engages the tranny into drive and reverse that sometimes gets bent and can cause what you are talking about. You also might need to rebuild you valve body.

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137972
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's