Engine knock and electrical short

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
alan

Engine knock and electrical short

Post by alan »

I have a 1989 Bronco II with a 2.9. The engine has a very distinct knock with no power. I recently removed the intake and changed valve cover gaskets while the intake was off. I think it may be a fuel injector(s). Any thoughts?

There is a drain on the battery when the ignition key is removed. If the vehicle sits for three days, the battery (new) is dead. I checked the battery, and the battery does not have a bad cell. The pos and neg leads are tightly secured on the battery posts. Any thoughts on how to methodically check for an closed circuit or short? I did replace the fuel pump relay due to the fuel pump running after the ignition was turned off.

Alan
forman621

Re: Engine knock and electrical short

Post by forman621 »

first, what color is the exhaust maybe smell it for gas. check to see if your loseing oil after you run it. if the exhaust is blue your leaking oil into the chambers. if it is black too much gas.

for the electrical drain check to see if anything still works when the key is off. stereo, blower, windows, lights, blinkers. stuff like that.

get a meter and check to see if there is power and ground at the fuel pump wires while the key is off.
if the fuel pump was always on, you could push the fuel preasure relief and see if it keeps the same preasure.
good luck
clem

Re: Engine knock and electrical short

Post by clem »

Do a compression test, but all 2.9Ls knock thats how you know it's still running. :D
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110