2.9 to 4.0 swap HELP

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
drummaster_54

2.9 to 4.0 swap HELP

Post by drummaster_54 »

Ok so I have pulled out the 2.9L out of my 89 and have the new 4.0 mounted and everything hooked up EXCEPT all of the wiring. I know a lot of people say it's easy but I'm stuck. I've pulled out the old harness, put the one from the donor in (93 explorer), hooked the explorer's computer in and have a few of the connectors plugged in. My problem is I'm not getting spark. I don't know what ALL has to be plugged in for it to run but I don't have the big white round plug plugged in because I don't know which wires to splice. But I'm not sure where exactly the voltage comes from to the coil pack. I've even ran a lead straight from the positive terminal on the battery to the 4 little coil pack plug-in prongs, still no spark. PLEASE HELP

Thanks, Travis
Ranger Dave

Re: 2.9 to 4.0 swap HELP

Post by Ranger Dave »

make sure all the grounds are hooked up,all the connections on the engine are plugged in as they were on the xplorer
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

what year is the 4.0? some of the plugs will have to be changed in the main plug.
drummaster_54

Post by drummaster_54 »

The 4.0 is a 93. I found a hot wire coming out of the firewall and spliced it with the matching one in the big 4.0 harness plug and I now have power to the coil pack. It seems now that the only thing left is to plug in the ICM which I don't have. So I'm going to try to pick one up from a junkyard tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will run one I'm getting spark. The only other thing I'm not sure about is the fuel pump. Should it be hooked directly to the key switched positive or not?
drummaster_54

Post by drummaster_54 »

Ok so I got the ICM and hooked it up and still no spark. the coil pack is good. any ideas?