Looking @ a Bronco

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
XJ Stryker

Looking @ a Bronco

Post by XJ Stryker »

Hey

Currently a Jeep owner huge XJ fan. Just found out my neighbor has an ole 89 tucked a way in his garage he is looking to get rid of. I have zero knowledge on Bronco's but I have fixed just about every thing on my Jeep so I am mechanically inclined.

Problem with this Bronco II. A few years ago he was driving it and he heard a loud bang and then she wouldn't go anymore!

2.9L v-6 Engine still runs like a champ and you can cycle the shifter through all the gears. You can also move the T-case through all the gears. But the truck will not move.

You can't push the Jeep at all with the tranny in Neutral or the T-case in Neutral. You have to use a vehicle or something to push it.

I crawled underneath and I don't see anything broke. I amthinking a JY tranny or T-case swap is in order to get this running. And I will search for the best way to do one of those but I would love ya'll conchairto troubleshooting if ya got time. I will check out what I can when I have access to the vehicle and hopefully with yalls help I can get this running and see what a Bronco can do on the trails.

Thanks XJ STRYKER
87 XJ wagoneer I6 242 Dana30/44 Combo 3in RC lift on 30's

Just Empty Every Pocket
Ranger Dave

Re: Looking @ a Bronco

Post by Ranger Dave »

first, ya gotta stop calling it a jeep :D . i take it its a 5spd. look to see if it has the CV type rear driveshaft. sometimes the joint goes. does the speedo read anything when its in gear runnin??
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

with it running and in gear, let the clutch out and it wants to stall??? like its locked up
XJ Stryker

Post by XJ Stryker »

Well its a Auto...

I can take it down to 1-2-D and OD then Reverse and All that. SHe doesnt hesitate like she wants to move or anything.

Like I said I crawled underneath it and everything is in order. Drive shaft looks great and from what I can see the Yoke to the T-case from tranny is in tact too.

He said he pulled the rear drive shaft at one time to see if it would move in front wheel drive and it would not!

Sorry for calling it a Jeep lol I am a member of several Jeep forums LOL.

Just Empty Every Pocket
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if it was mine, i wouldnt bother with that automatic. its a A4LD, not a very good tranny. i would swap it over to a standard. but if you want a automatic, find a 91 to 94 xplorer, they have the HD version on the A4LD
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

XJ Stryker wrote:Hey

Currently a Jeep owner huge XJ fan. Just found out my neighbor has an ole 89 tucked a way in his garage he is looking to get rid of. I have zero knowledge on Bronco's but I have fixed just about every thing on my Jeep so I am mechanically inclined.

Problem with this Bronco II. A few years ago he was driving it and he heard a loud bang and then she wouldn't go anymore!

2.9L v-6 Engine still runs like a champ and you can cycle the shifter through all the gears. You can also move the T-case through all the gears. But the truck will not move.

You can't push the Jeep at all with the tranny in Neutral or the T-case in Neutral. You have to use a vehicle or something to push it.

I crawled underneath and I don't see anything broke. I amthinking a JY tranny or T-case swap is in order to get this running. And I will search for the best way to do one of those but I would love ya'll conchairto troubleshooting if ya got time. I will check out what I can when I have access to the vehicle and hopefully with yalls help I can get this running and see what a Bronco can do on the trails.

Thanks XJ STRYKER
Welcome,

Their right it is a Bronco II not a H??p. Ok on to your problem.
first I don't know if you are running a stick or auto but this is what I would do based on what you said.

First if it is an auto check the trans oil and make sure it is full. If there is no change in engine load shifting from drive to neutral or reverse looks like the tranny could be toast. (A4LD's are famous for leaving suddenly. if it still doesn't move check to see all driveshafts are intact and that the U joints are not rusted in position.

If ya got a stick put it in gear and let out the clutch. Does the vehicle even try to move? If so suspect a toasted clutch disk. If it still does not move I would drop the rear drive shaft and front shaft and see if the rig rolls. If it doesn't you got rear end problems.

There, that ought to keep ya going forward.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey Dave, Ya slipped right in while I was sleepin at the keyboard.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

oh ya, welcome :beer:
XJ Stryker

Post by XJ Stryker »

Thanks I will check out more when I have a chance. All I have done it check it out and he tried to start it but the battery is toast at the minute but Has that battery charger on it for tonight.

I should have been more clear I feel like such a NEWB lol. I am even a Mod on a CHerokeeForum.com LMAO.

2.9L V-6 with auto.. Push Button 4wd. 196 on the clock. Not sure of the drive train specs yet but the rear diff resembles a Chrysler 8.25.

For a Midwest Bronco II this thing has a perfect Body so I am hoping I can get this Bronco II running good I would hate to see it get scraped!

Thanks for the Input!

Just Empty Every Pocket
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

the rear is a 7.5
http://rangerdave.freeforums.org/specs-t269.html
the front could be a D28 or a D35 depending on the production date
XJ Stryker

Post by XJ Stryker »

Still havnt gotten a chance to take another look at it. But I havn't forgotten. Started a huge project on my jeep! I have a low oil pressure problem and a rear main seal I just started tackling so the Bronco will have to wait. Sorry

Just Empty Every Pocket
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

sounds like the t case or rear diffo. Most like if it was something with a auto trans it would still move. I would pull the rear dive shaft and unlock the front hubs and see if it move and it doesnt try jacking up the front and chacking just in case that the front wheels still turn. Then my bet would be t case broke and jammed up and the tail shaft of the trans is just spinning. The trans on these things are weak and t cases strong but you never know he might have been driving it in 4 wheel drive way to much on hard ground and worked something loose.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

XJ Stryker wrote:

He said he pulled the rear drive shaft at one time to see if it would move in front wheel drive and it would not!
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

doesnt prove anything doing it that way. it could still be the rear diff just not letting the rig move. My money still on the t case. Becuase he said he put it the t case into N and it wouldnt move. If it was the tranny once you put the t case into N it will move.
Ranger Dave wrote:
XJ Stryker wrote:

Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Rockcrawler wrote: If it was the tranny once you put the t case into N it will move.

right :wtf: