diagnosing problem

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

diagnosing problem

Post by neb_scot »

Need some diagnosis advice:

My B2 died on me today while in the middle of the highway. I tried to start it 3 times and it never got up to speed/kicked in. Eventually, it stopped turning completely. No battery power left at all. I had just completed a 30 min drive - so the engine was warm and the battery should have been fairly well charged.

I then charged the battery a bit and it still would not start. I would turn the key and it would click - then nothing.

I cant help but feel that this may be related to other oddities Ive experienced when trying to start recently - for example having to hold the gas down while I turn it.

My B2 had all the electrics (meaning the spark plugs, leads and distributor cap & arm) replaced less than 6 months ago. Im guessing the alternator must at least be bad. I had "Oriely car parts" test it last week and they told me it wasn't in the best condition, but was still giving a charge - although they said it had a "wobble" - whatever that means.

Other than that, how would I test the starter circuit/ solenoid for starting problems?

Is there any way to eliminate the starter as the source of the problem?
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
chucknti

Re: diagnosing problem

Post by chucknti »

i had the same problem a few years ago. i got in the truck and drove about 3 miles and did the same thing yours did. i would take it off and check the alt again
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

A "wobble" most likely means that he bearings are about worn out. When the bearings wear, it allows the armature and the stator to get closer or farther from one another resulting in an inconsistant charge.

If they said that it was working (doesn't mean it still is), I would have them throw a battery tester on you battery so it can be checked under load. I'm guessing that one of the cells in the battery died. Looks and feels like it's taken a charge, but as soon as you put a load on it, it dies.
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

we pulled the starter today and it is indeed dead. Im picking up a replacement tommorow...

I also have the opportunity to pick up an alternator for $15. Its the 40w one - I never thought it would be so cheap.
I have no guarantees about its condition other than it 'works'. Do you think it would be worth my while to get it too?

thanks all for your help so far....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

neb_scot wrote:

Do you think it would be worth my while to get it too?
wouldnt hurt to have a spare
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

well, got another starter and Im back in action.

Its unbelievable the difference in starting. On reflection, I can see the tell-tale signs there were of the starter failing. I dare say it had ever worked properly the entire time Ive owned the B2.

So here is hoping thats the end of it.....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

?? why did it die in the first place? cause the battery went dead
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

thats a fair point - really when I think about it - the initial "cause of death" is not resolved.

trying to start the car after it dying I think is what eventually killed the battery. I cant remeber exactly what happened now but it would mist likely been one of the following - (and if you have any thoughts please say!)

- I gave it too much gas too soon, while maybe not moving the clutch quick enough causign

- the car does just "stop" occasionally after a long/hard run - usually down the freeway or highway. This one gets me most as all the electrics were replaced just 5 months or so ago

Im going to try clean the fuel system out next - in as passive a fashion as I can. Its still running, so Im apprehensive to start taking things apart to do that (eg clean carb etc) Got any suggestions? maybe a cleaner solution dunked in the fuel tank?

Ive noticed irregularity with the choke. It works a dream the first time in the day that you start the car, although after the first acceleration it disengages completely so you got to hold the revs down etc. It shouldn't be doing that it my mind - please feel free to tell me Im wrong...

Either way, I finally got some pics to put up in the rides section - and Im going to challenge everyone to a "most rust competition" ;)
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

First off, thanks for the update.

The cleaner you're most likely looking for would be Sea Foam. You can pick it up at NAPA. If you do a search on the site, there are discussions on it..

Secondly, you are correct, the choke shouldn't just disengage once started. This is an adjustment. Get your Chilton or Haynes out and follow the directions for getting it set up right.. Follow ALL the directions and take your time.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Ruffinit wrote:the choke shouldn't just disengage once started. This is an adjustment.
the choke pull off opens the butterfly part way when the engine starts so it doesnt load the engine up with gas. yes you can adjust the choke oven. back off on the 3 screws and turn the oven