need transmission?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bronco2

need transmission?

Post by bronco2 »

I have a 87 b2 4x4 automatic that I am not sure if it needs a tranie. It starts of in D great until it gets to about 20-25 then I have to put it in 2 to get up to about 35 and that is where it stays riding low. My reverse works fine. any help will do
vabronconut

Re: need transmission?

Post by vabronconut »

from what little info you gave, i would suspect the valve body is bad. if each gear holds but will not shift it sounds like the fluid is not porting to slide the drives. a suggestion would be try changine the filter and fluid, if that doesnt work then rebuild the valve body
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
bronco2

Post by bronco2 »

Thank you Vabronconut, I have already changed the fluid and filter, and with your suggestion I will try the valve body. Thank you again
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

bronco2 wrote:Thank you Vabronconut, I have already changed the fluid and filter, and with your suggestion I will try the valve body. Thank you again

no problem let me know how it turns out. be careful taking the body apart ! there are a couple check balls that will drop out
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
bronco2

Post by bronco2 »

After we got in there with the valve body it was just easier to change the transmission. So that is what we did. Thank you again. :frown: