dana 30 sas

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ledfordwc

dana 30 sas

Post by ledfordwc »

ok i've got a dana 30 from a 93 grand cherokee that i'm going to put in my b2, does anyone have any advice on this as far as setting up control arms, coil springs to use, rear springs to use, i would like to get about four inches of lift
89 bronco II stock almost 300,000 miles 4th motor gotta love those 2.9s
83 S10 blazer 383 stroker (almost show truck)
vabronconut

Re: dana 30 sas

Post by vabronconut »

ledfordwc wrote:ok i've got a dana 30 from a 93 grand cherokee that i'm going to put in my b2, does anyone have any advice on this as far as setting up control arms, coil springs to use, rear springs to use, i would like to get about four inches of lift
can you give more details?
is the pumkin on the drivers side?
does the gears in the 30 match the ones in the rear you have?
was it leaf sprung or coil sprung?
if it was coil, what kind of control arms did it have?
for the rear if you are on a budget and do not want to buy the ones that duff or bgy sell then i would go add a leafs with 2" blocks.
in general most people use the early bronco coil springs when doing swaps. if it were me i would set your rear with the 4" lift, mount the front axle with the control arms and track bar attached but no springs and level the truck then measure between the spring perch and axle spring perch. this will give you a compressed spring height and you can call around and get a spring to match that. or put 3 1/2" coil springs in and then add to the rear as needed. with a jeep axle i am not 100% sure what the exact height you need front and rear to get 4" lift.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

yea its on the drivers side, not sure about the gears, not really worried about the gears either, it is coil sprung with either a 3 or 4 link set up, i'm not sure what your asking (what kind of control arms) ?

also someone told me that explorer leafs will give a couple inches of lift in the rear is that true ? and if so roughly how much
i think i would rather try to find a junk explorer with a good front and rear end to swap in, i think they are both very close if not direct bolt ins, i think that would be the cheapest easiest way to go and get a lot stronger front and rear ends
89 bronco II stock almost 300,000 miles 4th motor gotta love those 2.9s
83 S10 blazer 383 stroker (almost show truck)
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Thats what im doing also. I didnt want to go through the cost of a D44 so I was going to go with a D30. Talking to different people I found out that the D35 is pretty close to the D44 in strength and can be upgrades with D44 nuckles to make it even stronger. Im putting my explorer leaf springs on hopefully tomorrow and I will take careful measurements to give people honest reviews on the lift it gives.
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

I don't know where you heard that a D35 is almost as strong as a D44 but whoever told you that is a liar. The D35 sucks, maybe it would alright in the front since you don't have to worry about an axle falling out if it breaks, but you could never get me to go near one if I had a choice.
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Would anyone really need more then the D35 with 33-35" tires on stock engine? I doubt it.... If you do, I must say you are really trying to demolish your rig at all times and should go with a D44.
The D35 isnt as strong as the D44, but it is the closest thing to it. Especially when you swap D44 nuckles on it. It sure as hell stronger then the D28.