Building a mud drag/Bog Bronco II

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
347bronco

Building a mud drag/Bog Bronco II

Post by 347bronco »

Hey guys, I'm new here I have a few questions. I am building a mud drag/bog bronco II. Anybody have any ideal how much a BII weighs in stock form. I am putting a 347 stroker in it out of my drag car and A full size 8.8 and a d44. Any tips on headers ,motor mounts an so on will be greatly appreaciated(I intend on fabbing as much as I can). This is going to be a all out race vehicle and streetability is of no concern. My motor has went 12.65 at 107 mph in a 4000lb 1964 galaxie(through mufflers and on street tires) so I think it will move the little bronco pretty good!
vabronconut

Re: Building a mud drag/Bog Bronco II

Post by vabronconut »

sounds sweet ! pumping that much horse have you thought of the dana 60's front and rear? i used motor mounts from a 85 mustang gt, they are the exact same as the ones james duff sells, except autozone sells them for $30-$40 a pair versus james duff's $180 price tag. some people i read had problems with these mounts for clearance of the oil pan with the ttb brackets but since your are going solid axle this will not be an issue. shock brackets can be gotten from bronco graveyard.com they are the f250 but work great. radius arm brackets are from the fseries from like 72-79. tranny i would go stick with that much horse, otherwise i think you would smoke a auto quick in the mud.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
347bronco

Post by 347bronco »

I'm gonna try the 8.8 and the d44 to keep my weight down. My brother-n-law has a ranger with a 454 in it, that is putting out about 50 hp and about 75ft lbs of torque and he just took his d60 front end out and put in a chebby 10 bolt and is going to take the d60 out of the rear and put in a 9 inch. I have a well built c-4 that I'm gonna use that is garunteed for 600hp. I launch my galaxie at 4500rpm on a trans brake with it all the time!!!!!

About the mustang mount, have already went through this when I put a v-8 in a 4 banger lx. When you by the motor mount from the parts stoe all you get is the rubber isolator not the metal braket that bolts to the block. I keep hearing about the 85 stang mounts or they different from other fox body stangs?
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

347bronco wrote:I'm gonna try the 8.8 and the d44 to keep my weight down. My brother-n-law has a ranger with a 454 in it, that is putting out about 50 hp and about 75ft lbs of torque and he just took his d60 front end out and put in a chebby 10 bolt and is going to take the d60 out of the rear and put in a 9 inch. I have a well built c-4 that I'm gonna use that is garunteed for 600hp. I launch my galaxie at 4500rpm on a trans brake with it all the time!!!!!

About the mustang mount, have already went through this when I put a v-8 in a 4 banger lx. When you by the motor mount from the parts stoe all you get is the rubber isolator not the metal braket that bolts to the block. I keep hearing about the 85 stang mounts or they different from other fox body stangs?

man thats a hell of a change from hotrodding to mud bogger ! what made you go this direction? a 454 in a ranger, thats like bitxx slap to ford for sure :flipoff: . the 8.8 i have run behind a 460 in a full size bronco and it was putiing out 385 horse, it never gave out but it did put allot of wear and slack in the gears, if i had run it much more i would have had to replace the r&p.. are you going efi for the swap? what size tires are you going to run, and are you going to do a 4 link in the rear? what else are you going to do with it? im always looking for ideas.....

im not sure what the deal is about the 85 mounts, i used them and they worked good for me other than i had to drill new holes in the crossmember, i got a used set off of ebay with the brackets for $5 and bought the new rubber isolaters. i like to do things right but i won't spend a ton of $$$$ on something when i can do just as good with something else. headers, im not sure about i have gone through a bunch of different ones trying to get what i want, but i went with a hyd clutch np435 which has its own problem. the other mounts i have read about, you use truck mounts and fabricate the adapter plates from the block to the mount. there is even a diagram somewhere with measurements.
347bronco

Post by 347bronco »

When I go drag racing its not heads up it's "Bracket racing" and I'm just not into it. When you go mud boggin its broke down in classes(somewhat) and when it's over I can say I got 1st,3rd or maybe even last place!
About the chebby powered ranger :puke: well it's one more reason, I give my brother-n-law all kinds of Sh*t about having a boat anchor in his truck. His truck actualy does realy well he won the 35" and 38" class this past saturday. He has his truck set up realy well, he is running leafs with ladder bars in the rear and a home built 4 link in the front.
I found out the deal with the mounts a 85 vert uses different mounts than a hardtop(looked on advance auto parts web site) As far as headers I'm gonna run "pulling truck" headers(through the hood) with evac tubes.
This is all in planning right now I'm gonna do the Ford expo at national trail raceway at the end of the month with my galaxie before I even start to tear it apart. I did a recent solid roller cam change and i'm playin with gearing and tire size I think it will do better than a 12.65. :D
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

so what are you going to do with the galaxie? i love those cars. i never got into hot rodding cause theres no place left to open it up on anymore damn caps can't let us have any fun. so i turned to 4x4's. i would love to build a nice cruiser one day, love to have 67 fairlane or 65 mercury cyclone, but wife holds the check book so maybe one day.........
347bronco

Post by 347bronco »

Hey guys I know its been awhile since I first posted this but do to other projects and obligations it got put on hold for some time now. I got back to working on it about 1 month or so ago and it is starting to shape up. As you can see I solved some of my issues like motor mounts and headers!
Attachments
bronco pics 007.jpg
bronco pics 005.jpg
bronco pics 008.jpg
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

any more pics?
347bronco

Post by 347bronco »

Here's somemore pics;
bronco pics 055.jpg
Attachments
bronco pics 046.jpg
bronco pics 048.jpg
bronco pics 053.jpg
bronco pics 061.jpg
bronco pics 053.jpg
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

theres no way your going to be able to keep your rig cool with those small lines on your radiator. I run much bigger ones and a bigger radiator on my 351 with duel fans and it will keep it cool but when i had a bunch of hard 90 degree angles in it it would over heat.
347bronco

Post by 347bronco »

Rockcrawler wrote:theres no way your going to be able to keep your rig cool with those small lines on your radiator. I run much bigger ones and a bigger radiator on my 351 with duel fans and it will keep it cool but when i had a bunch of hard 90 degree angles in it it would over heat.

Well I think it will, and we will soon find out. You must have a huge radiator because that is a 3" thick alum radiator( 2 -1 1/2" cores). The big thing is the truck is only gonna run long enough to drive from the trailer to the mud pit, through the pit( Hopefully in about 8-10 seconds!!!), and back to the trailer, maybe 5 minutes tops. what kinda pump did you run?
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

i run just the stock pump. buts more of a volume thing then a pressure thing. Higher pressure will just keep it from boiling. You have the coolant running threw a heater core size line. Now granted it might work for the 5 min your going to be running it but once you hit that mud your going to heat up fast!!!
347bronco

Post by 347bronco »

Rockcrawler wrote:theres no way your going to be able to keep your rig cool with those small lines on your radiator. I run much bigger ones and a bigger radiator on my 351 with duel fans and it will keep it cool but when i had a bunch of hard 90 degree angles in it it would over heat.
I took the bronco to the its first bog yesterday and placed 7th (should have been at least 4th but I shifted to soon) in the 34-36" class with 33' tires and won the 33" tire . The water pump(system) worked flawlessly.